• Sandy Turner: Here comes the bride, all dress in white

  • Last weekend we married off the last kid, and as he walked his daughter down the aisle, I could see his heart was full of love and his eyes were full of tears.

    • email print
  • Last weekend we married off the last kid, and as he walked his daughter down the aisle, I could see his heart was full of love and his eyes were full of tears.
    Even though we had a year to prepare, it seemed so much needed to be done during the last few days. The venue needed to be decorated, flowers picked up and, of course, a day of primping for the bride-to-be and the wedding party. I took one for the team so the girls could enjoy a day of manicures and pedicures. I assured everyone I could handle it, but within 20 minutes, I realized it was going to be a long five hours until the mothers’ return.
    Babysitting the two youngest grandchildren, 5 months and 8 months, I envisioned the three of us spending quality time playing. I hadn’t planned on them both needing a bottle and nap at the same time.
    Rocking the youngest with the bottle nearly gone, and so close to being asleep, the other grandson was quietly sitting, playing with my cell phone. I’ve got this, I thought, just as he reached over to grab something else and landed on his stomach. He didn’t seem too concerned as he maneuvered to the edge of the mini kid couch I had him sitting on. About that time he decided he would sit up again, fell backwards and was wedged between the couch and the walker.
    He looked up at me as if to say, “what are you gonna do about this?” The baby was just two gulps from being asleep so I whispered, “hang on buddy, I’ll be right there.” He stared at me for a few seconds, let out a scream, which woke the one sleeping, and then all heck broke loose.
    I tried rocking both at the same time, which ended with them pinching each other or trying to slap out the bottles, which were propped under my chin. With one in the car seat, rocking it with my foot, I rocked the other in the recliner and eventually they feel asleep. When their mothers returned I gave the report all grandmothers give, “everything went great.”
    The wedding day arrived, the sun came out and it couldn’t have been a more memorable day. When the ceremony was over and neither the bride nor groom fainted, it was time to celebrate. After being so hyped up for days on end, I wasn’t really sure what to do with myself so I decided to hunt down one of the grandbabies.
    The 5-month-old had just eaten so I figured it would be a good time to grab him. Holding him up in front of me, he smiled so sweetly into my eyes, and then spit up at least four ounces down my neck. It felt like a blob of curdled formula was laying in the bottom of my bra, with remnants streaking down the front of my black skirt.
    Page 2 of 2 - Cleaned up as best as I could I joined everyone for a toast to the bride and groom. I looked and smelled like a glass of sour milk, but as I listened to the bride’s father’s speech, which warmed everyone’s heart, nothing else mattered but the sweet sounds of sentiment.
    While walking the newlyweds out to say goodbye I noticed my black sandals had splats of formula covering the fancy buckles. I had to fight the urge to sing them a song as they left for their honeymoon.
    “First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby in the baby carriage.”
    Sandy Turner lives in Independence. Email her at sandydownhome@hotmail.com

    Comments are currently unavailable on this article

      Events Calendar