Authorities charged an Independence man on Wednesday for allegedly killing his older brother in Carrollton.

Authorities charged an Independence man on Wednesday for allegedly killing his older brother in Carrollton.

The Carroll County prosecutor charged David Lee Womack, 46, with first-degree murder and armed criminal action. He is accused of shooting his brother, William Eugene Womack, 58, once in the head.

According to court records:

David and William Womack lived at a house in the 2000 block of James Downey Road in Independence. David Womack had recently moved in with a girlfriend down the street.

Allegedly, after an hours-long assault and rampage against the girlfriend beginning Monday afternoon, Womack set the girlfriend’s house on fire Tuesday morning. He then drove to a family member’s home in Carrollton, where he confronted and killed his brother.

KMBC-TV9 reported that the shooting victim had gone to Carrollton to check on their mother, who was upset about David Womack.

The Carrollton police chief’s account said William Womack was sitting in his SUV on the street about 1 p.m. when David Womack slid to a stop beside him. He got out of his black Ford Ranger and they began arguing and cursing at each other, according to a witness. Suddenly, David pointed a short rifle at William and fired a single round, hitting William in the temple.

William was found slumped inside the SUV and pronounced dead at the scene.

David got back inside the Ford Ranger and drove back toward Independence.

Later that afternoon, Independence police spotted the truck and tried to pull it over near Missouri 291 and 23rd Street, not far from where he lived, and began to pursue his vehicle.

He sped east on 23rd Street to Truman Road and then turned onto Owens School Road, east of Missouri 7 and south of the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant. At one point, speeds reached 90 mph.

A police spokesperson said he drove the pickup into a field. Independence Police and Jackson County officers tried to block him in, but he rammed an Independence canine vehicle. He then left the pickup and retrieved a “long gun” from the truck.

At that point, a sheriff’s deputy fired a shot and Womack surrendered.

Womack is alleged to have told his family that he would not go back to prison, a reference to prior charges and convictions of first-degree burglary and armed criminal action stemming from a domestic violence incident in Howard County in 1996.

The police officer who was hit by the pickup was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

A Carroll County judge set David Womack’s bond at $750,000.

Jackson County prosecutors charged David Womack with second-degree domestic assault and unlawful use of a weapon stemming from his hours-long assault on his girlfriend beginning Monday.

Between 3 p.m. Monday and 3 a.m. Tuesday, David Womack assaulted his 44-year-old girlfriend repeatedly, hitting her in the head and on her body, causing bruising and abrasions.

He is also accused of preventing her and her 13-year-old son from leaving the house, at one point breaking the phones to keep her from calling police.

Womack reportedly “intimidated and terrorized” the woman by loading and unloading his shotgun. At one point he placed the barrel of the loaded shotgun in his mouth and asked her to pull the trigger.

The woman told police that both she and Womack, a couple for four years, were unemployed and having financial difficulties.

Later Monday night, Womack returned home after purchasing beer and began breaking personal property in the home before throwing her across the room and biting her, court records show.

Womack is also accused of driving the woman and her 13-year-old son to a gravel road off Missouri 210 and, loading a handgun, telling her, “No one will find you out here.”

Back home, Womack allegedly destroyed more personal items, kicking furniture and kicking holes in the wall. He took a .22 caliber rife and discharged it into the east wall, according to court records.

Womack told her, “Go ahead, try to escape and call police, there is gonna be a shootout.”

At about 3 a.m. Tuesday, Womack fell asleep and the woman left with her son.

The house fire later that morning was extinguished with moderate damage, according to police.

A neighbor of the Womacks, who asked not to be named, said there had been ongoing problems at the house.

“It was on and off,” he said, declining further comment.