A Blue Springs woman and her young granddaughter escaped a fire that heavily damaged the woman's home Friday afternoon.

A Blue Springs woman and her young granddaughter escaped a fire that heavily damaged the woman's home Friday afternoon.


The house is in the 300 block of Southwest 16th Street.


The fire call came in about 2:30 p.m., Friday, said Eddie Saffell, assistant chief of the Central Jackson County Fire Protection District. A smoke alarm alerted the woman to the fire, and by the time firefighters arrived, she and her 6-year-old granddaughter were out safely.


Saffell said the fire started on a mattress in a second-floor bedroom. He couldn't say more about how it started, except that it was accidental.


He said firefighters were able to bring out most of the family's Chrismas gifts, and others were covered in tarps while the fire was fought on the upper floor. The top floor was a total loss and the first floor had extensive water damage. He put the damage at about $50,000 to $60,000.