|
|
Examiner
  • 100 Years Ago - June 8 through 14, 1913

  • The following items were taken from the June 8 through 14, 1913, Examiner.

    • email print
  • The following items were taken from the June 8 through 14, 1913, Examiner.
    • The old “River Road,” the first road to be macadamized in Jackson County, the road which connected Independence with the outside world when the river was the only means of transportation, the road over which the first railroad in Missouri was built, is now a part of Rural Route Number One. One of the longest and best rural routes out of Independence is Route No. 1, which begins just north of Woodland College, leads through Cement City on to Courtney, then around and back by rock road into town by way of Liberty Street.
    • In dry season Sni Creek near Oak Grove is a string of holes not even connected by running water. In wet weather it is a big running lake and is the favorite fishing resort for eastern Jackson County. Of recent years a new method has been adopted to catch the big fish in Sni. It is called “Hogging.” The fisherman puts on a pair of old clothes and wades along in the creek and with his bare hands feels under the logs until he finds Mr. Fish. Then with a steady purring motion which tickles the fish, he moves his hands and gets a toe hold on the gill part. A 24 pound catfish was caught that way recently at Sni Creek.
    • The Pope is prevented by immemorial custom from ever going beyond the walls of the Vatican, his official palace in Rome; but Pope Pius X expressed a strong desire to come and see America. This was after he had sat for two hours looking at moving pictures of American scenes, including views of cities and natural wonders.
    • New York may catch up with Independence and Kansas City some of these days. A public service commission is now conducting an investigation as to whether the smoking and chewing tobacco should be permitted on common carriers, such as street cars, for example.
    – Jillayne Ritchie
     
     
      • calendar