What's Happening sports bulletin board for Jan. 31
Items for What’s Happening must be received by noon Thursday before publication. Send information to Karl Zinke, sports editor, including daytime telephone number, to What’s Happening, Sports Dept., The Examiner, P.O. Box 459, Independence, Mo. 64051, fax it to 816-254-0211 or send by e-mail (email@example.com). Please include deadline or date notice should be taken out and please indicate what sport the announcement should be listed under. Dates are subject to change. Examiner is not responsible for tryouts. Please contact people listed for detailed information. The Examiner reserves the right to edit for length and content and remove any listings.
* – indicates new item
* • Lee’s Summit Hornets, 11U AA/AAA competitive team (2nd place in 10U AA World Series in 2008) seeking one or two talented and experienced players to complete its 2009 roster. Team plays league and approximately 10 tournaments in 2009, including State and World Series. Must not turn 12 before May 1. Contact Ed Derks at 816-564-6447 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Mark Benkovich at 816-997-3529 or email@example.com for tryout information.
• Oak Grove Little League Baseball signups, Feb. 7, 14, 21, 28 and March 7 at Emerald Lanes bowling alley in Oak Grove, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day. Cost is $55 for T-ball (ages 5-6), $65 for machine pitch (ages 7-8), $75 for 1st Division (ages 9-10), $80 for 2nd Division (ages 11-12), $85 for 3rd Division (ages 13-14) and $90 for 4th Division (ages 15-16). There is a $5 discount each for two players and families with three players get the $5 discount for the first two players and the third costs $30. For more information or sign up online, visit the Web site at www.eteamz.com/ogllb.
• Tryouts, Independence Nationals Baseball Team, 13UAA, will play league, state and 4-7 tournaments. Tryouts 7 p.m. every Monday in February at Dugout Sports. Call Dan at 816-589-2361 or Shawn at 816-721-9894 for more information.
• Tryouts, Blue Springs Tornadoes, 12U AA, seeking a few competitive players for 2009. Playing spring 2009 competitive league and 5-6 tournaments. Call for Saturday or Sunday tryout details. Contact Roger Brock 816-809-7707 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Tryouts, 12U AA baseball team seeking few players to complete 2009 roster. Must not turn 13 before May 1. Must be willing to play tournaments as well as regular league games. Call 816-796-6633 for more information.
• Team wanted for 9-year-old infielder/pitcher (1 year kid pitch experience). Contact Carl Blando at 816-786-7070.
• Tryouts, Independence Indians, 8U machine pitch team, seeking players to play league and five tournaments, including state championship and world series. Please contact Rick Rawlings at 816-405-1214 or email@example.com.
• Tryouts, KC Rush 13U AAA competitive team (formerly Blue Springs Jaguars) looking to fill spring roster. Seeking young men who love the sport and are willing to further develop themselves and a team. For additional information, call Mike Steinbach at 816-229-9846. You must be 13 years old or younger before May 1, 2009 to be eligible. Team information available through USSSA under the Blue Springs Jaguars name.
• Tryouts, Blue Springs Rockets 14U AAA, 13U AA State Champions will be playing AAA in 2009. Seeking solid, experienced player capable and willing to play multiple positions. Parents and player must be dedicated and have positive attitude. We play league, tournaments every other weekend, state and world series tournaments. See team Web site at rocketsbaseball.org. Players cannot turn 15 before May 1, 2009. Contact Tom at 816-853-0861 for more information.
• Tryouts, Independence Bears, 14U AA/AAA team, still seeking few players. Tryouts and practices will be run by former Kansas City Royal Carl Blando along with William Chrisman High School varsity coach Justin Woods and his staff. Seeking future Bears from Independence area who want to play at the high school level. Contact coach Rob Knight at 816-786-6339 for more information.
• Tryouts, Lee’s Summit Hornets, 11U AA/AAA competitive team that finished second in the 10U AA World Series, seeking a few talented players to complete its roster for spring 2009. Team will play in approximately 10 tournaments in 2009, including state and the World Series. Players must not turn 12 before May 1, 2009. Contact Ed Derks at 816-564-6447 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Tryouts, 12U AA/AAA competitive team for next season looking to play 40-50 games and travel. If interested, contact Rick at 816-405-0202.
• Tryouts, Blue Springs Vipers, a competitive 14U AAA boys baseball team, will conduct tryouts for 2009 season. Call Danny Johnson at 816-228-6318 for an appointment.
• Ongoing: Kiwanis Baseball League, for 15-16-year-old teams, is a composite wood bat league. League games to be played at Crysler, IAC and Fort Osage. League is seeking experienced scorekeepers. For more information contact John Curtis at 816-795-6503 or email@example.com.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Officials Association seeking umpires. Contact Rob Michael at 816-224-4621, 816-918-6066 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Ongoing: Fort Osage Indians Athletic Association looking for experienced umpires for summer league. Contact Josh Mitchem at 816-985-9878.
• Ongoing: Fort Osage Indians Athletic Association USSSA sanctioned baseball league for full teams and individual players ages 4-14. For more information, visit the Web site (www.fortosagebaseball.com).
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Little League. For more information go to Web site (bluespringsbaseball.org).
• Ongoing: Queen City Baseball Association. For more information, call the Queen City office at 816-796-4003, visit the Web site (www.eteamz.com/qcba/) or send e-mail to: Queencitybball@aol.com.
• Ongoing: Tri-City Baseball League. For more information, visit the Web site (www.tri-city.org) or call Donna Schroer at Tri-City at 816-795-1088, ext. 320.
• Ongoing: Ban Johnson Amateur League, 816-383-7765.
* • Tryouts, Missouri Valley Blazer Girls Basketball Club tryouts scheduled for Feb. 8 at Bridger Middle School in Independence. No cuts – competitive, intermediate and developmental levels. Grades 3-4 tryouts will run 1-2 p.m.; grades 5-6 are 2-3 p.m.; and grades 7-8 are 3-4 p.m. For more information, call Doug Murdock at 816-503-8638.
• 6th Annual Brittany Hill Classic Basketball Tournament, Feb. 21-22 at Brittany Hill Middle School in Blue Springs. Girls and boys divisions in grades 3-8 are eligible. Entry fee is $175 per team with a three-game guarantee. Deadline to enter is Feb. 13. Contact Dallas Truex at DTruex@bssd.net or 816-224-1700 ext. 306 or Robert Marble at 816-224-1700 ext. 329.
• Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation is now taking registrations for its Men’s Spring Basketball League. Divisions include competitive and recreational. Participants must be 18 years or older. League play will be on Wednesday evenings from Feb. 18 through April 8. Minimum of 5, maximum of 12 persons on the roster. Games are played at Harris Park Community Center (110 SW Blue Parkway) in Lee’s Summit. Team fees are $350 per team for both divisions. Deadline to register is Feb. 6 or when a division is full. For more information, call 816.969.1500 or visit www.lsparks.net for league registration forms.
• The Missouri Magic sponsoring a trip for potential college basketball players to the Big D Shootout in Dallas, and the Desert Duel Shootout in Phoenix from July 21-29. Two teams each at 16U and 17U will be developed through tryouts in March. Players interested in high-end exposure level team should contact Missouri Magic Director Mark McLaughlin at 660-726-4370 or e-mail email@example.com. Tryouts will be March 22 in Bethany, Mo., to make up the teams. Airfare, transportation, accomodations, pre-event and post-program evaluation and promotion of players will be included in this package.
• Tryouts, Missouri Magic Elite travel basketball program will be sponsoring a week-long trip to Lahaina, Hawaii, for the Maui Summer Classic basketball tournament, July 12-20. Two teams from Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska are being formed for this program, intended for high school juniors and seniors. Cost of the program includes entry fees, uniforms, round-trip airfare, accomodations and ground transportation. Players interested in this travel program should contact Missouri Magic director Mark McLaughlin at 660-726-4370 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for an information packet. The first 20 players to commit to this program will comprise the team.
• Tryouts, Saints Athletic Club, a competitive Christian-based basketball club team, looking for boys in grades 4-8. Players participate in league and tournament play. For more information go to www.SaintsAthleticClub.com or contact Dalton Vann at 816-401-5245 or daltonvann@Ballin4Christ.com.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Athletic Association Basketball League. For more information contact, Steve Hyde at 816-228-4994 or visit bsaabasketball.com.
• Ongoing: AAU basketball. For more information, write to the Missouri Valley AAU, 1815 South York, Independence, Mo. 64058 or call 816-796-8605.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs BMX at Pink Hill Park in Blue Springs. For more information, call the Track Hot Line at 816-392-9901 or visit bluespringsbmx.com.
• SportsCity Spring 2009 Youth Flag Football League taking registrations through March 8. Cost is $80 per player. Team and individual signups accepted (individuals cannot be guaranteed placement). Games played on weekends with doubleheaders. To register, visit the Web site at www.sportscitykc.com. On the home page, click on “Sports-Football” then on “Coaches Info” or scroll to the bottom of the home page and click on the youth flag football link. Call SportsCity at 816-229-1314.
• Ongoing: Pop Warner football, ages 5-14 are eligible. For more information, call Steve Bowen at 816-373-4511 or 816-550-2221 or e-mail to SSKC88@aol.com.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Pop Warner football, for ages 5-15. Flag football is for ages 5-8; tackle football is ages 8-15. For more information, call Leonard Fields at 816-373-3298 or Marc Busker 816-224-7991.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Athletic Association football leagues. For information, call the BSAA Hotline at 224-4639, ext. 3012.
• Ongoing: Grain Valley Athletic Association youth football leagues. Flag (grades K-2) and tackle (grades 3-7) are available. For more information, visit the Web site at www.gvaasports.org.
• Independence Horseshoe Club leagues run April through August. For more information, contact club president Alvin Gwinn at 816-461-1746 or league director Neal Straughn at 816-246-0310.
* • Lee’s Summit Parks & Recreation Wiffle Ball Tournament, Feb. 15 at Harris Park Community Center (110 SW Blue Parksway) in Lee’s Summmit. Ages 14 and older are eligible for five-player teams. Cost is $100 per team. Deadline to register is Feb. 6. Register by calling Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation at 816-969-1500 or stop by any of the LSPR facilities.
• Ongoing: YMCA youth sports (preschool children through ninth grade) offered are baseball, soccer, basketball, golf and tennis. Swim lessons for youths and adults are also offered. For more information, contact the Blue Springs YMCA (224-9620), Independence YMCA (254-9622) or the Raytown YMCA (356-9622).
• Ongoing: Kansas City Gaelic Atheltic Club. Gaelic football squad trains and scrimmages at 11 a.m. every Sunday at the Wizards practice facility in Swope Park (63rd and Lewis Road). For more information or the blog, visit the KCGAC Web sit at http://kansascity.missouri.gaa.ie/index.html or http://kcgac.blogspot.com.
• Ongoing: Kansas City Blues Rugby team. Practices are open to experienced and new players. For more information, call the Blues hotline at 816-960-1281 or visit the Web site (www.kcblues.org).
• Ongoing: Missouri State Senior Games: Call the MSSG office at (573) 882-1462 or go online (www.smsg.org/senior_games).
• Ongoing: Raytown Bass Club is seeking new members. For more information, call Dennis Mitchell at 913-787-5810 or visit the www.raytownbassclub.net Web site.
n Ongoing: Independence YMCA racquetball leagues. For more information, call the YMCA at 816-254-9622.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Running Club, contact Terry Hickam at 816-229-6779.
• Ongoing: Free Sunday runs offered at Garry Gribbles Running Sports. Check Web site at garrygribbles.com for directions and starting times. For more information, call 816-373-1100.
• Ongoing: The Brocaw Blazers youth cross country team. For further information, visit the Web site at www.brocawblazers.org or call coach David Ramsey at 816-365-7938.
Soap Box Derby
• Ongoing: Kansas City Soap Box Derby. Visit the Kansas City Soap Box Derby Web site at www.kcsbd.org or the All American Soap Box Derby Web site at aasbd.org for more information.
* • SportsCity’s Lil’ Kickers Winter 2009 Session now taking registrations. Fundamental instructional soccer program for ages 18 months to 9 years. Classes held at SportsCity in Blue Springs and Lakeland Church in Lee’s Summit. To register or for more information, visit the SportsCity Web site at www.sportscitykc.com, send e-mail to email@example.com or call 816-229-1314.
• Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation is now taking registrations for its Youth Futsal League. Boys and girls in pre-school through sixth grade are eligible. League play runs March 2 through May 9. Futsal is a 5v5 indoor soccer game played on a smaller field with no walls. Games are played at Harris Park Community Center (110 SW Blue Parkway) in Lee’s Summit and Lee’s Summit School District schools. Registration fee is $40 per person with a $6 optional team and individual photo. Deadline has passed; call for availability. To register, contact Lee’s Summit Parks & Recreation by calling 816-969-1500 or register online to www.lsmo.net or go to any of our locations and register in person. Payment must accompany registration.
• Soccer kickarounds every Sunday, 7 p.m. at Blue Springs High School’s Peve Stadium. Call 808-4978 for more information or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Ongoing: BSHS Soccer Alumni Association seeking former soccer players at Blue Springs High School to join in the year-round fun and giving. For more information, call Bob Rusert at 816-808-4978 or visit bshssocceralumni.org.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs High School Boys Soccer Booster Club will meet on second Thursday of each month at the high school. For more information, call Bernadette Lawson at 816-616-4531.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs High School Girls Soccer Booster Club meets the third Tuesday of every month at 6:30 p.m. in the Blue Springs High School library. For more information, contact Kathy Karst at 816-228-7458 or Janet Shelman at 816-229-5769.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Soccer Club. For more information, call 913-982-1240, visit the Web site (www.bluespringssoccerclub.org) or send e-mail to email@example.com.
• Ongoing: Soccer Association of Independence. Visit the Web site at www.saisoccer.org or call 456-9837.
• Ongoing: Soccer West. Visit www.soccerwestmo.com, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816-229-4502.
• Ongoing: Oak Grove Soccer League. For information contact Bruce Forthofer at 816-898-7564 or email@example.com or visit the Web site (www.oakgrovesoccer.org).
• Ongoing: BVAC Youth Soccer Leagues. For more information, call BVAC at 816-796-8702, visit the Web site (www.bvacsports.org) or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Ongoing: Raytown Soccer Club. For more information, visit the Web site (www.raytownsoccerclub.org) or call 816-313-7721.
• Ongoing: Jackson County Parks and Recreation Soccer Field Rental Program. Requests for field rentals are on a first-come, first-serve basis. Cost is $20 per hour, per field for daily rental and $100 per field or $30 per team for tournament or league field rental. Nets, corner flags, field painting, etc., require additional fees. To reserve a field or for more information, call 816-795-8200, ext. 1-277 or 1-270.
• Ongoing: Jackson County Futsal Leagues. Futsal is FIFA’s official indoor soccer game, a scaled down version of outdoor soccer played indoors on a smaller field with a low-bounce ball that is weighted. For more information, visit the Web site (www.premierfutsal.com) or call Jim West at 816-522-7314.
* • Adair Park Doubleheader League taking team registrations for ages 10-18. League starts April 14 and is 14 games in 7 weeks. Games played at 6:30 and 7:45 p.m. on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Cost is $830 per team. Call 816-836-4782 to register or for more information.
• Ongoing: The Exceptionals, a summer youth softball program at Hidden Valley Park Softball Complex for boys and girls ages 5-20 physically or mentally unable to participate in other programs. Contact Laurie Munzuris at 816-522-6749 or Karin Windes at 816-217-8403 for more information or to volunteer.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Girls Softball Association. For more information, visit the Web site (bsgsa.net).
• Ongoing: Heart of America Senior Softball leagues, for women ages 40-70-plus, men ages 50-70-plus, and coed (women 40-plus and men 50-plus). To register or for more information, visit the Web site (www.hasskc.com), send e-mail to email@example.com or call 816-358-4277.
• Ongoing: KC Metro 50-Plus Softball League. For details or visit the Web site (www.kcseniorsoftball.com).
• Ongoing: Independence Adult Softball Association Adult Men’s and Coed Leagues. For more information, call Donnie Payne at 816-350-3758 or 816-212-0797.
Swimming & Diving
• Ongoing: Kansas City Dolphins, practices at Centennial Pool-Plex in Blue Springs and Blue Valley High School in Overland Park, Kan. Signups are ongoing throughout the year. Visit the Web site (www.teamdolphins.com) for more information.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs YMCA Swim Club, a non-competitive swim team, is available to children ages 6-18. Fundamentals of each stroke as well as personal development will be taught. Call the Blue Springs YMCA at 816-224-9620 for more details.
• Ongoing: Tsunami Swim Team at Blue Springs YMCA, Longview Recreation Center and William Jewell College. Signups are ongoing throughout the year. Call 816-224-WAVE (9283) or visit online (www.tsunamienterprises.com).
• Ongoing: KC Blazers swim team, at the Blue Springs YMCA and the Longview Recreation Center in Lee’s Summit. For more information, call 913-383-8342.
• Ongoing: Centennial Pool-Plex open swim hours. Admission is $5 per person for age 4 and older ($3.50 after 5 p.m.). Ages 3 and younger are free with a parent. Season memberships are also available. For dates and times of Lap Swim, Swimnastics, Therapeutic Swim, open swim hours or additional information, call 228-0137.
• Ongoing: Open play, JACOMO Table Tennis Club in Independence, Thursday evenings, 6-9 p.m. For more information, call Dave Baker at 816-229-2253 or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Ongoing: Independence Tennis Association: If you would like to know more about the ITA, contact Jody McClain at email@example.com.
Track & Field
• Ongoing: Missouri Valley AAU Association. Visit the Web site (www.region8aau.org/movalley).
• Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation is now taking registrations for its Youth Volleyball League. Boys and girls in grades 4-8 are eligible. League play runs March 2 through May 9. Teams are formed through a draft based on previous season’s rating or experience. Registration fee is $47 per person with a $6 optional team and individual photo. Deadline has passed; call for availability. To register, contact Lee’s Summit Parks & Recreation by calling 816-969-1500 or register online to www.lsmo.net or go to any of our locations and register in person. Payment must accompany registration. Volunteer coaches also are being sought. No experience required; a clinic for volunteers will be provided.
• Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation is now taking registrations for its Adult Volleyball League. Participants must be age 18 or older. League play is Tuesday and Thursday evenings starting March 17. Tuesday divisions include Coed Intermediate A & B and Recreational (up to 10 on the roster, 6 on the court). Thursday leagues include Men’s A and B (up to 6 pm the roster, 4 on the court) and Women’s A and B divisions (up to 8 on the roster and 6 on the court). Games are played at Harris Park Community Center (110 SW Blue Parkway) in Lee’s Summit. Fees are $165 per team and registration ends Feb. 6. For more information, call 816-969-1500 or visit www.lsparks.net for league registration forms.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Youth Volleyball League. For more information, visit the Web site at www.eteamz.com/BSYVL.
• Ongoing: Fort Osage Youth Volleyball League, for girls in grades 4-7. Girls in Fort Osage and Independence school districts are eligible. Contact Lyn Adams at 816-650-6294.
• Ongoing: Independence Youth Wrestling program at the William Chrisman High School wrestling room. Ages 5-14 are eligible. Practices are on Mondays and Wednesdays. Tournaments are scheduled for Saturdays at area schools. Novice tournaments for first- and second-year wrestlers are Sundays. For more information, visit the Web site at www.independenceyouthwrestling.org or contact Chuck Rodgers at 816-254-3716 or Bill Jones at 816-305-2928.
• Ongoing: Youth Jaguar Wrestling Club, team practices at Blue Springs South High School. For more information, contact Doug Black at firstname.lastname@example.org or 816-582-6911.
• Ongoing: Predator Youth Wrestling Club of Eastern Jackson County seeks youth wrestlers ages 5-14. Practices are scheduled for Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the William Chrisman High School wrestling room. For more information on joining, please contact Dawn Taff at 816-650-3979 or Mike Gempeler at 816-525-1244 or email@example.com.
• Ongoing: Mat Rat Wrestling Club, practices at Lee’s Summit West, Richmond and University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg. Team is run by UCM assistant and former Raytown South High School head coach Alan Hull. Contact Alan Hull at 816-564-1847 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Ongoing: Western Stars Youth Wrestling Club, for ages 4-15. For more information, contact Phil Howk at 816-841-9852 or visit www.westernstars.org.
• Ongoing: Fort Osage Mat Club. Children in kindergarten through eighth in the Fort Osage School District are eligible. Practices are 6-8 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday at the Fort Osage Multipurpose Building. For more information, Contact Jeff Cutbirth at 816-478-3994 or Bob Luke at 816-650-3516.
• Ongoing: Mo West Wrestling Club. For more information, contact Jason Heslop by e-mail (email@example.com) or by calling 816-471-2499.
• Ongoing: Lee’s Summit Broncos Youth Wrestling Club. Call Bill Biggerstaff at 816-986-1499 ext. 8193 for more information. Additional registration info and practice schedule may be found at www.leesummit.k12.mo.us/lsnhs and click on athletics, wrestling and Kids Club.