What's Happening sports bulletin board for Mach 16
Items for What’s Happening must be received by noon Thursday before publication. Send information to Karl Zinke at email@example.com. Please include sport the announcement should be listed under. Dates are subject to change. Examiner is not responsible for tryouts. Please contact people listed for detailed information. The Examiner reserves the right to edit for length and content and remove any listings.
• Tryouts: Independence Indians Baseball 13U is looking for players to finish 2013 roster. Looking for coachable, competitive players with AA to AAA skills. Team will play 8-10 tournaments, including state championship. Call 816-419-3981 for tryout location and information. Tryout date is 6-8 p.m. March 7.
• Tryouts: Millhouse Baseball seeking players for its competitive teams. 9U team needs three players; 12AA and 12AAA teams need one player; 16-18U needs two pitchers. For more information, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Tryouts: 11U AA Wolverines seeking coachable athletes who can play multiple positions, have sound fundamentals and hustle. Must also have good attitude and strong desire to play and progress. All positions open for competition and will be evaluated at each practice and game. Playing time will be earned, not given. Pitching and strong hitters are a plus. Team has already begun winter workouts indoors and will have ongoing tryouts until 2013 spring/summer roster is chosen. Season will consist of league play at Legacy Park and 10-12 tournaments, including state. Contact Coach Floyd for tryout or more information at 816-984-9069 or email@example.com.
• SportsCity Spring Men’s 5v5 Flag Football league starts April 4 at SportsCity in Blue Springs. Deadline to register is March 24. For more information visit www.sportscitykc.com then click up on Sports-select sport-leagues.
• 2013 Drumm Farm Golf Club Ladies 18-Hole Golf League begins with an organizational meeting at 9 a.m. Tuesday, March 26 at the Drumm Farm Golf Club, 15400 E. 34th St., Independence. Registration fee is $52. There is a cost of $32 (plus tax) per week played. This includes greens fees and cart. (League members may play for this same price Monday through Friday.) Play begins Tuesday, April 9, and continues weekly at 8 a.m. on Tuesdays through Oct. 15. For further information and registration forms, call 816-350-9900 or visit the Drumm Farm website at www.drummfarmgolf.com and click on “Leagues.”
• Park Trot 5K is scheduled for May 4 at Waterfall Park, just south of Bass Pro shops. Race begins at 8 a.m., rain or shine. Packet pick-up and in-person registration will be available the afternoon of May 3 at Bass Pro Shops, 18001 Bass Pro Drive, and from 7-7:45 a.m. near the start of the course on Saturday, May 4. There is no limit on the number of participants. A parent or legal guardian must sign a waiver for anyone under age 18 participating. T-shirts will be available for purchase for $4.50 each for children and regular adult sizes on the race website. For more information or to register for this free event, visit www.independenceparktrot.com.
Page 2 of 2 - Soccer
• Caledonia Spring Break Soccer Camp, March 18-20 at SportsCity in Blue Springs. Camp runs 10:30 a.m. to noon each day. Camp will be split into three groups based on age – 6-8, 9-11 and 12-14 – and may be adjusted if needed. Cost is $67 per participant. For more information contact: Chris Dean at 816-337-6917 or firstname.lastname@example.org. To register, visit www.caledoniasoccerschool.com and register under the camp tab.
• SportsCity Spring Adult Co-ed Soccer league starts April 26 at SportsCity in Blue Springs. Deadline to register is April 12. For more information visit www.sportscitykc.com then click up on Sports-select sport-leagues.
• SportsCity Spring Men's Soccer league starts April 24 at SportsCity in Blue Springs. Deadline to register is April 16. For more information visit www.sportscitykc.com then click up on Sports-select sport-leagues.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation Department Adult Summer Slow-Pitch Softball Leagues begin the week of April 1. All games will be played at Young Park and Blue Springs Park. Men’s leagues available are C (Sundays or Tuesdays), D (Sundays), E (Sundays), B Doubleheader (Sundays), C Doubleheader (Mondays), D Doubleheader (Wednesdays) and Church (Thursdays). Coed leagues available are C (Wednesdays or Thursdays), D (Tuesdays), C Doubleheader (Fridays) or D Doubleheader (Fridays). Women’s league is Tuesdays. Men’s doubleheader leagues cost $455 per team, men’s single-game and coed doubleheader leagues cost $380 per team and coed single-game and women’s leagues are $330 per team. Prices include ASA sanction fee. All have 12-game schedules. Deadline to register is March 11. Late registration available, depending on availability, until 5 p.m. March 18. For more information or to register, call the Parks office at 816-228-0137 or visit the Website (www.bluespringsgov.com). Register online or at City Hall (903 Main Street) during business hours.
• Lee's Summit Parks & Recreation is now registering teams for the Spring Sand Volleyball league. Games begin April 1 and go through May 20. Coed leagues (Intermediate and Recreational) will be held on Mondays and Men's and Women's divisions will take place on Wednesdays. Games are held at Lea McKeighan Park located at the northeast corner of the Douglas and Chipman Road intersection in Lee's Summit. Teams can register by March 1 for $140, after that the league fee increases to $154. Participants must be 18 years or older. For more information call 816.969.1500 or go to www.lsparks.net to register your team online.
• BVAC Adult Kickball: For ages 18 and older. Fee is $285 per team. Contact BVAC for more information at 816-796-8702 or www.bvacsports.org.