Independence police are looking for a man who allegedly posed as a Water Department contract employee.

They say he got into two homes and took money and credit cards. In a third incident, a homeowner refused to let him him. The victims in each case have been elderly, and the incidents happend in the mid- to late afternoon. Incidents also have been reported in Raytown and Overland Park.

In each case, the man told residents he needed to check plumbling in the house. The Independence Water Department only sends workers inside a home to work on plumblng if it’s requested. Also, that only happens if there’s an appointment.

City employees carry city identification. Officals say if someone representing himself as a city employee asks to come into your home, don’t let him in. Instead, lock the door and call 911.

Police are looking for a slender white male, about 6 feet tall, perhaps around 50 and possibly missing front teeth. He was wearing a ball cap in two of the incidents, and he gave the name Roy to one of the victims. He might be driving a dark green or teal Ford Taurus.

Anyone with information is asked to call the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-8477 or the Independence Police Department at 816-836-3600.