An annual tradition at the Truman Library in Independence offers another way to help those in need.
In June, the museum is giving free adult admission with the donation of a new child’s backpack, like the kind used in school.
“We usually fill up a barrel, at least,” said archivist Tammy Williams. Library staff typically contribute as well.
The donations go to the Community Services League, which provides a wide range of services, including making sure students across Eastern Jackson County have shoes, backpacks and other needed things when school starts in August.
The library also is giving visitors another way to help the Community Services League. For the donation of a dollar this month, the library will give six Harry Truman pencils.
There is a strong connection. Bess Truman was among the Independence women in a Bible study who founded the Community Services League 100 years ago. The library’s efforts help, said Doug Cowan, the president and CEO of CSL.
“It’s a lot of fun and a great reason to get out and enjoy a great treasure in our backyard,” he said.
The Community Services League has several upcoming events in connection with its centennial.
On June 11, it’s holding a Centennial Birthday Bash at Paradise Park in Lee’s Summit. It’s open to the public, and a portion of ticket sales goes back to the Community Services League. The event runs during the day and into the evening.
“It’s perfect whether you’re 1 or 101,” Cowan said.
There’s a concert in the evening by Drew Six and the Soul Plains Drifters. Food and beverages are for sale on site. Get tickets for the birthday bash at csl100.org.
CSL is holding a series of events the week of June 13-17, including open houses at each of its seven offices in Eastern Jackson County.
Those events are –
• 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 14 at the Fairmount office in Fairmount Christian Church, 641 S. Ash Ave., Independence;
• 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. June 15 at the Buckner/Sibley office in the Community of Christ church at 1001 S. Sibley St. in Buckner;
• 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 15 at the Grain Valley office at the First Baptist Church, 207 W. Walnut St.;
• noon to 2 p.m. June 15 at the 39th Street office at Christ United Methodist Church, 14506 E. 39th St.;
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 16 – the day of the centennial – at the main office, 404 N. Noland Road, Independence;
• 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. June 16 at the Oak Grove office, 1408 S.E. Austin St.;
• noon to 2 p.m. June 17 at the Blue Springs office, 200 S.W. Tenth St.