Items for the Community Calendar may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: The Examiner, 410 S. Liberty St., Independence, MO 64050, attention Jill Ritchie. Also, check the calendar online at examiner.net.
TUESDAY, APRIL 19
• Seminar on Free Veteran Burial, 7 p.m., American Legion Post 499, 499 S. Missouri 7, Blue Springs. Teddie Velleri, cemetery director of the Missouri State Veterans Commission, will present the program. Receive information and directions on how to receive free burial at the Missouri State Veterans Cemetery, Higginsville. All veterans and spouses are encouraged to attend.
• Garage Sale, 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., St. John LaLande Catholic Church, 805 N.W. R.D. Mize Road, Blue Springs. The 3500 square feet of the Parish Center will be overflowing with treasures for the whole family.
• Tots and Trails, for ages 4 to 6, 3:30 p.m., Rotary Park, 600 N.W. Vesper St., Blue Springs. Introduce your child to nature through hands-on activities and a mini hike. Free. For questions, call 228-0137.
• Defeat Hunger: Free Community Meal, 5:30 p.m., Glenwood Park United Methodist Church, 10000 E. 23rd St., Independence. Everyone welcome.
• Skillbuilders, education and support for widows, widowers and caregivers, 9:45 -10 a.m. meet/greet and support; 10 to 11:50 p.m. program, The Palmer Center, 218A N. Pleasant St., Independence. Topic: Spring and summer car care with Rod Stoll, Susquehanna Auto Clinic. For questions, call 325-6200.
• In Search of Wild Greens, for adults and ages 11+ when accompanied by a participating adult, 1 to 2:30 p.m., Burr Oak Woods Conservation Nature Center, 1401 N.W. Park Road, Blue Springs. We will head outside at last in search of wild greens. You'll sample a wild and delicious, nutritious spring salad. Free, but registration is required, call 228-3766.
• Green Pocketbook, for adults, 7 p.m., Blue Springs North Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library, 850 N.W. Hunter Drive. This program offers economical tips for the home (including how to maximize energy efficiency for home appliances) and also focuses on cost-effective grocery shopping, offering healthy recipes for ingredients that are lower on the food chain as well as discussing how to get the best bang for the buck when it comes to your grocery bill. Free, but registration is required, call 224-8772.
• Dungeons and Dragons. 4:30 p.m., Trails West Branch of the Kansas City Public Library, 11401 E 23rd St. S., Independence. Prepare for the fight of your life! Free. For more information, call 701-3483.
• Big Read: Book Discussion, 6:30 p.m., Raytown Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library, 6131 Raytown Road. Join this Big Read book discussion of the Ray Bradbury's “Fahrenheit 451,” a classic science-fiction novel that depicts a dystopian society with eerie similarities to the present day. The Big Read is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with Arts Midwest. Free, but registration is required, call 353-2052.
• I Teach U Savings: Masters of Couponing, for adults, 7 to 8:30 p.m., Colbern Road Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library, 1000 N.E. Colbern Road, Lee's Summit. Lisa Williams offers strategies to maximize savings as you earn grocery store incentives, locate mail-in rebates, utilize “stacking,” and acquire free coupons to save over 50 percent off of retail prices. Free, but registration is required, call 525-9924.
• Using FamilySearch, 10 a.m., Midwest Genealogy Center, 3440 S. Lee's Summit Road, Independence. Learn tips on searching records, using the research wiki, finding family trees, using the Family History catalog, and more. Basic computer literacy needed. Free, but registration is required, call 252-7228.
• Drop-In Table Tennis, 9 to 11:45 a.m., Truman Memorial Building, 416 W. Maple Ave., Independence. Cost, $2. 325-7843.
• Tirey J. Ford Post 21 American Legion Bingo, doors open at 4 p.m.; bingo starts at 6:30 p.m. at the post hall, 16701 East U.S. 40, Independence. 373-0221.
• Tuesday Party Bridge, 1 to 4 p.m., Truman Memorial Building, 416 W. Maple Ave., Independence. Use Pleasant Street entrance. For details, call 373-2584.
• Independence Art Association meeting, 7 p.m., Community of Christ Stone Church, 1012 W. Lexington Ave., Independence. Guests and new members welcome. Visit www.independenceartassociation.org.
• Torchbearer Zeta Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi, 1:30 p.m., Calvary Presbyterian Church. Lynda Burrows and Sherry Snyder will be hostesses. Janice Parish will read the Manuel. The Diamond Circle Ritual of 60 years will be given to Lita Lou Greb on Founders Day, April 24, at Blue Springs Country Club.
– Jillayne Ritchie