Items for the Community Calendar may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: The Examiner, 410 S. Liberty St., Independence, MO 64050, attention Jill Ritchie. Also, check the calendar online at examiner.net.
• Healthy Eating Supermarket Tour, 1 to 2 p.m., Hy-Vee, 4545 S. Noland Road, Independence. Join dietitian Jamie Jarvis to get some new meal and snack ideas, as well as learn strategies to help you develop healthy eating habits. Call 478-7090 to register.
• Garage Sale, 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., St. John LaLande Catholic Church, 805 N.W. R.D. Mize Road, Blue Springs. The 3500 square feet of the Parish Center will be overflowing with treasures for the whole family.
• Creating a Budget with Excel, for adults, 7 p.m., North Independence Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library, 317 W. U.S. 24. Learn to create and organize a budget using basic formatting and formulas. Free, but registration is required, call 252-0950.
• Teens at the Library, 4 p.m., South Independence Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library, 13700 E. 35th St. Discover what we’ve planned just for you. Free, but registration is required, call 461-2050.
• Drop-In Table Tennis, 9 a.m. to noon, Truman Memorial Building, 416 W. Maple Ave., Independence. Cost, $2. 325-7843.
• Lions Club meeting, 7 a.m., Englewood Cafe, 10904 E. Winner Road, Independence.
• Bingo, doors open at 4 p.m.; bingo starts at 6:30 p.m., Stanley-Pack American Legion Post 499, 499 S. Missouri 7, Blue Springs. Pull tabs, snack bar and beverages available. Everyone welcome. 229-4990.
• Buckner VFW Post 8101 Bingo, 7 p.m., 95 Baker Street, Buckner. There is a $15 cost and a sliding scale for payouts that depends on the number of players.
• Al-Anon meeting, 10 a.m., Blue Ridge Trinity Lutheran Church, 5757 Blue Ridge Blvd., Raytown. Come to lower level back door, there is parking at the back. 353-5446.
• Independence Civil War Study Group, 7 p.m., Perkins, 3939 S. Bolger Drive, Independence. James “Spike” Speicher will present “What it was like to be a Civil War soldier” in period clothing. Terry Eliott, 353-7617.