Items for the Community Calendar may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: The Examiner, 410 S. Liberty St., Independence, MO 64050, attention Jill Ritchie. Also, check the calendar online at examiner.net.
THURSDAY, APRIL 21
• Full Moon Hike planned for April 22, 8:30 p.m., George Owens Nature Park, 1601 S. Speck Road, Independence. The Pink Moon rises at 8:30 p.m. You must be able to hike off-trail. No baby strollers or light-up shoes. Bring your binoculars. Register by 5 p.m. April 21, call 325-7115.
• Garage Sale, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., St. John LaLande Catholic Church, 805 N.W. R.D. Mize Road, Blue Springs. The 3500 square feet of the Parish Center will be overflowing with treasures for the whole family. Today is “Sack Day,” everything you can fit in a sack for $3.
• Truman Medical Center Healthy Harvest Mobile Market stops, Jackson County Courthouse on the Square, 9 to 10 a.m.; Palmer Center, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., 416 W. Maple Ave.; City Hall, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., 111 W. Maple Ave.; Fairmount Community Center, 2 to 2:30 p.m., 217 Cedar Ave.; The Groves, 3 to 4 p.m., 1515 W. White Oak St. All in Independence.
• Kids Create: Rainbow Loom, for ages 6 and older, 6:30 p.m., Blue Springs South Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library, 2220 S. Missouri 7. Express yourself through art and craft activities. Free, but registration is required, call 229-3571.
• Oh My Teen Book Group, 4 p.m., Trails West Branch of the Kansas City Public Library, 11401 E 23rd St. S., Independence. Book discussion on “Shadow and Bone” by Leigh Bardugo. Copies available for request or checkout at the branch library. Free. For more information, call 701-3483.
• Big Read: Book Discussion, 7 p.m., Blue Springs North Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library, 850 N.W. Hunter Drive. Join this Big Read book discussion of the Ray Bradbury's “Fahrenheit 451,” a classic science-fiction novel that depicts a dystopian society with eerie similarities to the present day. The Big Read is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with Arts Midwest. Free, but registration is required, call 224-8772.
• National Association of Parliamentarians (NAP), Santa Fe Trail Unit, 6:30 p.m., St. Luke’s United Church of Christ, 727 N. Main St., Independence. The presentations will be on meeting and procedure basics, basic motions used in meetings, and basics for bylaws for the functioning of an organization. There is a $15 registration fee. Call 254-8105 for any questions or to receive a registration form.
• Big Read: Book Discussion, 10 a.m., Raytown Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library, 6131 Raytown Road. Join this Big Read book discussion of the Ray Bradbury's “Fahrenheit 451,” a classic science-fiction novel that depicts a dystopian society with eerie similarities to the present day. The Big Read is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with Arts Midwest. Free, but registration is required, call 353-2052.
• Exotic Animals R Us, for all ages, 7 p.m., Colbern Road Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library, 1000 N.E. Colbern Road, Lee's Summit. With its collection of unique animals, including tortoises, foxes, monkeys, porcupines, and felines, Exotic Animals R Us brings the zoo to you. Free, but registration is required, call 525-9924.
• Parents of Preschoolers, 10 a.m., Grain Valley Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library, 101 S.W. Eagles Pkwy. Bring your preschooler and spend the morning learning exciting new activities you can do at home. The local Parents as Teachers instructor will share the importance of early literacy through play. Free, but registration is required, call 228-4020.
• Financial Education For All: Things You Have Never Heard, for adults, 7 p.m., Grain Valley Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library, 101 S.W. Eagles Pkwy. Larry Crane, president of Crane Financial, discusses financial growth and protection in a way that makes sense. Learn necessary financial information to help you make educated decisions on products that are best suited to for you. Learn about financial tools that you’ve never heard of! Free, but registration is required, call 228-4020.
• Drop-In Table Tennis, 9 to 11:45 a.m., Truman Memorial Building, 416 W. Maple Ave., Independence. Cost, $2. 325-7843.
• Independence Host Lions Club, noon, Lucky Buffet, 2931 S. Noland Road, Independence.
• Alpha Omega Master, 7 p.m., at the home of Kathy Bozarth. Barbara will be co-hostess and Carole will give the program. Louise, 796-6998.
• The Write Place Poetry Society, 3 p.m., Palmer Center, 218A N. Pleasant St., Independence. You're welcome to come and read or just listen. Jan Kroll, 254-5278.