The Blue Springs South Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library is offering the following activities for the month of May. The library is located at 2220 S. Missouri 7. All activities are free, but registration is required, call 816-229-3571.
• Teens at the Library, 7 p.m. May 2, 9, 16 and 23. It’s your time to hang at the Library. Discover what we’ve planned just for you.
• Windows 10, for adults, 7 p.m. May 3. Get an introduction to the layout of the Windows 10 operating system and a demonstration on navigating its functions. You may bring your own Windows 10 laptops. Registration is required.
• Cinco de Mayo Fun!, for ages 3 and older, 7 p.m. May 5. We’ll read a story, make maracas, and enjoy other fun-filled activities.
• How to Start a Business in Blue Springs, for adults, 2 p.m. May 6. Learn about local resources that can help you write a business plan, organize your business structure, find the right location, apply for local, state and federal licensing, and avoid costly missteps.
• Kids Lab, for ages 7 and older, 2 p.m. May 7. Discover how you can bring science and technology to life.
• Practical Preservation, for adults, 7 p.m. May 17. Saving family heirlooms isn’t rocket science, but knowing the right techniques can save them from disaster. Join local historian, archivist, and historic preservationist David W. Jackson to learn simple steps to protect historic documents, photographs, and books. Attendees are encouraged to bring items with specific questions.
• Kids Create, for ages 6 and older, 6:30 p.m. May 19. Spark your imagination and express yourself through art and craft activities.
• From Your Garden to Your Shelves, for adults, 7 p.m. May 24. Lower your grocery bill, and serve your family fresh, healthy veggies by planting a garden. Learn the basics of tilling, planting, and weeding your own garden as well as preserving your harvest to enjoy all year long. Handouts with tips and recipes will be provided.
• Very Fairy Party, for ages 4 and older, 7 p.m. May 26. Come join us for a “fairy” good time as we read an enchanting story, make a fairy-tastic craft, and enjoy delightful goodies. Come dressed in your “fairy” best costume!
• Creation Stations: Intro to Adobe Creative Cloud, 2 p.m. May 28. From websites to television, you can’t go a day without seeing visuals and graphics created in the Adobe Creative Cloud. Come and explore the world of the Creative Cloud and experiment with creating visuals of your own using Adobe software provided by the Library.
– Jillayne Ritchie