The Midwest Genealogy Center is offering the following activities for the month of December. The Genealogy Center is located at 3440 S. Lee's Summit Road in Independence. All classes are for adults, unless otherwise noted. All activities are free, but registration is required, call 816-252-7228.
• Using Findmypast, for beginners, 10 a.m. Dec. 1. Learn to search billions of records on Findmypast.com to find your ancestors from all over the world. Discover how to find articles using PERSI, an index to genealogy periodicals. This class will focus on searching tips, as well as the types of records that can be found in Findmypast.com.
• Walkabout at MGC, for beginners, 10 a.m. Dec. 2. Take a walk around MGC and see all the resources available for genealogy and history research.
• Buffalo Soldiers, for families with children 7 and older, 2 p.m. Dec. 3. Members of the all African American 10th Cavalry Regiment organized at Fort Leavenworth in 1866, the Buffalo Soldiers distinguished themselves with their exemplary service and selfless bravery from the American West to the battlefields of World War II. Discover the history of these unique soldiers, which included baseball great Jackie Robinson.
• Beginning Ancestry, 7 p.m. Dec. 6. Learn how to use Ancestry Library Edition in your genealogy research. Basic computer literacy needed to follow along.
• Beginning Genealogy, 10 a.m. Dec. 6. Learn the basics of genealogical research from census records to organization tips.
• Hidden Treasures at MGC, 2 p.m. Dec. 8. Unlock MGC’s many treasures with a tour of the Library’s little-known resources. This class is an intermediate level class.
• Introduction to Internet, for beginners, 2 p.m. Dec. 9. Discover the best genealogy websites for your research. Basic computer literacy needed to follow along.
• Using HeritageQuest, for beginners, 7 p.m. Dec. 12. Learn how to search thousands of resources, from history books to Revolutionary War records, with HeritageQuest Online. Basic computer literacy needed to follow along.
• Census Records Research, for beginners, 7 p.m. Dec. 13. Learn how to locate and search thousands of family and local history books as well as the U.S. Federal Census.
• Using InterLibrary Loan, for beginners, 2 p.m. Dec. 14. Discover how Mid-Continent Public Library’s InterLibrary Loan can help you access resources from other libraries across the country.
• Using FamilySearch, for beginners, 10 a.m. Dec. 15. Learn how to use FamilySearch, including its wikis and other features. Basic computer literacy needed to follow along.
– Jillayne Ritchie