A Blue Springs family was not home when their house caught fire Monday night on the 100 block of Northwest Fourth Street, but Central Jackson County Fire Protection District personnel believe the house likely is a total loss.

The family dog also died in the fire, as firefighters found it inside. The family with several children also had two cats that were not found inside.

The fire first was called in at 9:15 p.m., CJC Assistant Chief Eddie Saffel said, and firefighters had it out in less than two hours. The fire started in the kitchen, but Saffel said there was too much damage to make an early conclusion on the cause.