The City of Independence Environmental Health Division conducts inspections anywhere food is handled, prepared and served to the public within city limits. Critical violations must be handled within 72 hours.
• Jazz A Louisiana Kitchen, 19700 E. Valley View Pkwy. – On Dec. 18, tongs were found in a bucket of standing water in the prep sink on the cook line; clean after use or install a dipping well for utensils.
• Steak 'N Shake, 13621 E. U.S. 40 – On Dec. 18, inspectors no utensil to dispense the lemons, limes and cherries; bare hand contact is prohibited, a utensil must be provided.
• Master Wok, 4810 S. Arrowhead Drive – On Dec. 20, inspectors could not located sanitized water on the cook line; this is a recurring problem.
• Salty Iguana, 17717 E. U.S. 40 – On Dec. 20, an employee was observed taking out trash without removing his apron.
• Unk's Burgers, 18801 E. 39th St. S. – On Dec. 21, the prep cooler was out of temperature; it was to be serviced that afternoon.
• Open Arms Community of Christ, 1021 W. College St. – On Dec. 22, inspectors found no paper towels at the hand sink in the restroom.
• B&D South Skate Center, 13903 E. Noland Court – On Dec. 28, the small refrigerator across from the ice maker had an ambient air temp of 63.5 degrees; all potentially hazardous foods were discarded.
– Jillayne Ritchie