A second Independence man has been charged in connection with last Thursday's fatal shooting of 20-year-old Abigail Edwards.

Jackson County prosecutors charged 20-year-old William “Scooby” York with unlawful use of a weapon resulting in death and armed criminal action. They say he and another man fired guns from a vehicle into a northwest Independence house where Edwards was found. York faces up to life in prison if convicted.

Earlier this week, prosecutors filed the same charge against 21-year-old Tristen Bishop. The case remains under investigation, and additional charges could be filed.

According to court documents, Bishop said he and York fired shots into the house in the 500 block of South Oxford Avenue where Edwards was found dead with a gunshot to the head. Bishop said York started to fire, so Bishop began to fire, as well.

York and a witness were arrested Tuesday on a stop order. The witness told police she heard about seven shots fired from the car after Bishop told her to lay down in the back seat and she closed her eyes. She said she knew Bishop had a gun but wasn't sure about York. When she heard about Bishop's arrest, the witness said, she tried to reach out to investigators, but York said he did not want to go to jail.

Video recovered from a nearby home did not catch the shooting on video, but it can be heard. Investigators said the timing and rate of gunshots indicate at least two weapons being fired.

According to court documents, two people at the South Oxford house told officers the man who lived at the house had fled prior to police arriving, according the court documents. Police found multiple 9mm shell casings on the street near the house.

Police later found the man's vehicle and the man himself, and that witness told police he believed “Scooby” might be responsible for the shooting. The two had been feuding about York stealing a vehicle from him, he said, and York believed the witness was responsible for York's parents' house being burned. Two other detectives recognized York (and his nickname) from a series of street robberies and knew he associated with Bishop. There had been shootings at the house prior to last Thursday, the witness said, but they were not reported to the police.

Bishop had been arrested Saturday on a traffic stop, and he told police he used the 9mm gun found on him during the arrest but lost one of the magazines somewhere near Home Street after the shooting.

Earlier, a citizen had called police to report a pistol magazine and ammunition found near the intersection of Lexington Avenue and Cedar Avenue, a short block from Home Street. A purchase receipt for that pistol magazine had been found in a repossessed vehicle connected to and associated of Bishop and York.

York's bond was set at $500,000.