Two Eastern Jackson County men have been charged for a trio of armed robberies this month in Lee's Summit. They were captured Thursday after one of them was identified from a shooting in Kansas City, tracked to an Independence motel and then fled from police to his cousin's apartment in Lee's Summit.

Jackson County prosecutors have charged 21-year-old Billy Standley of Independence and 33-year-old William Crawford of Lee's Summit with three counts each of first-degree robbery and armed criminal action. According to court documents, after they were arrested at Crawford's apartment, both men told admitted to police they had committed the robberies – April 2 and April 14 at the 7-Eleven on Oldham Parkway in Lee's Summit and Wednesday at the QuikTrip near Missouri 150 and Missouri 291 – after getting high.

Crawford said Standley made him participate in the robberies, and Standley said they both needed the money.

Both 7-Eleven robberies took place in the early morning. The men wore bandanas over their faces and used handguns. They stole less than $200 in the first robbery and $212.60 in the second. In the QuikTrip robbery, they stole $101.49 and four cartons of cigarettes. After that incident, investigators identified a Chevrolet pickup truck from surveillance video as a suspect vehicle.

On Thursday morning, Kansas City police responded to a call for shots fired. A witness said “Billy” and another man in a Chevrolet Silverado pickup had driven by his house and of the men fired several shots into another vehicle. Lee's Summit police identified “Billy” as Standley and learned from his probation officer that he was staying at the Great Western Motel on U.S. 24 near M-291 in Independence.

Police located the suspect vehicle there, followed it and noticed the driver wearing a hat worn by one of the robbers. When police tried to pull over the truck at Interstate 470 near Woods Chapel Road, the truck fled and nearly struck an officer who tried to deploy spike strips, later crashing into a tree at a Lee's Summit apartment complex.

Police learned Standley's cousin, Crawford, lived at the apartment into which Standley fled. Crawford was arrested and told police Standley was inside, and Standley was arrested after a brief standoff.

Court records show Standley is on a suspended sentence after pleading guilty in August 2017 to receiving stolen property, tampering, resisting arrest, assault of a law enforcement officer and second-degree burglary in multiple cases. He also has pleaded guilty in Clay County to resisting arrest by the Missouri Gaming Commission in 2016.

Bond for Standley and Crawford has been set at $100,000.