The South Independence Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library is offering the following activities for the month of June. The library is located at 13700 E. 35th St. All activities are free, but registration is required, call 816-461-2050.
• MU Extension Series – Kids in the Kitchen: For ages 6 and older, 10 a.m. Mondays. Hey, kids! Discover how to eat healthier and learn about cooking in a fun and safe environment during this six-week class. Learn all about choosing healthy foods, preparing healthy meals, and being active.
• Exotics R Us: For all ages, 2 p.m. June 5. Exotics R Us brings the zoo to the Library with its collection of unique animals including tortoises, foxes, monkeys, porcupines, and felines.
• Kids Create: For ages 6 and older, 2 p.m. June 6. Spark your imagination and express yourself through art and craft activities.
• WildHeart Presents – Critters Rock!: For ages 5 and older, 10 a.m. June 12. Rock the Library with Emmy award-winning singer and songwriter WildHeart! Get ready for toe-tapping, wild-wiggling tunes chocked full of fun facts on wild critters. Plan to rock with reptiles and roll with the fun as you learn about animals and their habitats.
• Stable T. Farms Petting Zoo: For all ages, 2 to 4 p.m. June 13. Bring the whole family to see these fun farm animals, and let the little ones pet rabbits, goats, and more. This two-hour program ensures that every family, from those who are first in line to those who are fashionably late, spends quality time with their favorite farm friend.
• Kids at the Library: For ages 6 and older, 2 p.m. June 14. Discover, create, and play. Explore big ideas in a new way.
• Tech Talk: For adults, 2 p.m. June 18. Whether you are a first-time computer user or have had lots of experience, there are always questions waiting to be asked about technology. Bring your questions to the branch, or just come to listen and learn from other participants. You can bring your own laptop computer or tablet.
• Imagination Station: For ages 1 to 5, 11:30 a.m. June 20. Kids can unleash their imaginations with creative activities that promote early literacy skills through talking, singing, reading, writing, and playing.
• WeDo LEGO Robotics: For ages 8 and older, 3 p.m. June 22. Spread your wings with LEGOs. Build a bird and program it to flap its wings. Kids will work in pairs to make this simple robot.
• ACT Practice Test with College Tutors: For teens, 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.; registration starts at 9 a.m., June 23. These free practice tests are designed to give each student an assessment of where they might score on the real ACT. The only requirement is to bring a pencil and a scientific calculator. Composite scores will be provided to each student within five days. You will need to provide a valid email address to receive your results.
• Didgeridoo Down Under Show: For all ages, 7 p.m. June 25. Join us for this high energy, Australian-themed program that combines music, art, puppetry, comedy, environmental education, character building, and audience participation. Perfect for the whole family! Visit their website at: www.didgrevolution.com.
• Community Blood Drive: 1 p.m. June 30. Give life with your blood donation today! Join the Library and the Community Blood Center in this community event to help ensure reliable blood inventories in this area and beyond. Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments are preferred. Donors can make an appointment for a particular location by visiting esavealifenow.org. Please enter MCPL-Full name of library branch as the sponsor code.
– Jillayne Ritchie