The North Independence Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library is offering the following activities for the month of July. The library is located at 317 W. U.S. 24. All activities are free, but registration is required, call 816-252-0950.
• Tech Talk: For adults, 7 p.m. July 2. Whether you are a first-time computer user or have had lots of experience, there are always questions waiting to be asked about technology. Bring your questions to the branch, or just come to listen and learn from other participants. You can bring your own laptop computer or tablet.
• Sock Hop Smiles: For ages 4 and older, 3 p.m. July 7. Goodness gracious, great stacks of books! Join P.J. the DJ as he rocks the Library with the sounds of 1950s rock and roll. So get on the horn, invite the paper shakers, and get ready to sail to Cloud 9 at this sock hop guaranteed to make you smile.
• Play and Learn Time: For ages 3 and older, 10 a.m. Tuesdays, July 10-31; and Saturdays, July 14 and 28. Enjoy a special preschool playtime that is designed to stimulate young minds and strengthen early literacy skills. We offer stimulating and fun activities as well as the opportunity to meet other preschoolers and their parents. The open playtime allows you to come and go as your schedule permits.
• Email for Beginners: For adults, 10 a.m. July 11. Email is the most common form of communication used today. Learn to understand your inbox, as well as how to write effective emails.
• Kids Create: For ages 6 and older: 6 p.m. July 12. Spark your imagination and express yourself through art and craft activities.
• The Book Stops Here – Presidential Book Group: For adults, 2 p.m. July 12. Join Doug Richardson, Chief of Interpretation and Visitors Services at the Harry S Truman National Historic site, for an exploration into the lives of the American presidents, their influence on history, and the events of their times.
• Professor Leland’s Magical Sock Hop: For ages 5 and older, 2 p.m. July 13. Put on your poodle skirts and leather jackets for a magical adventure back in time with Professor Leland and his jukebox full of tricks and illusions. Shake, rattle, and roll back to the 1950s with the Professor and his magical rabbit, Mr. Whiskers.
• Beginning Word: For adults, 10 a.m. July 18. This introduction will focus on how to create, save, and print a document using Microsoft Word.
• Fire Dog: For all ages, 10 a.m. July 23. Join the kids rock band Fire Dog for a musical adventure complete with songs about Hellbender salamanders and the Machiguenga tribe of the Pidi Pidi.
• Beginning Excel: For adults, 10 a.m. July 25. Learn the basics about Microsoft Excel® and how to format a simple spreadsheet.
• American Folktales and Songs-Live: For ages 9 and older, 10 a.m. July 25. Join for an energetic performance of classic American folktales and songs.
• Kids Lab: For ages 6 and older: 6 p.m. July 26. Discover how you can bring science and technology to life.
– Jillayne Ritchie