The city of Independence will open the drop-off depot for residential tree limb and brush debris from the recent winter storms.
The depot, at 875 Vista Ave. – off Truman Road east of Missouri 291 – will be open to accept such items free of charge 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, then 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. each weekday next week, and again 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. again Feb. 2.
Citizens will need to show proof of residency, such as a driver's license or utility bill, and no contractors or county residents will be allowed.
A few other reminders:
• Loads should covered or sufficiently secured so that no part of the load can fall from the vehicle.
• Allow plenty of time, as there is no way to gauge how long lines will be.
• Citizens will be required to remove the load themselves.
• Yard waste and trash will not be accepted.
• The drop-off depot is weather dependent and may be canceled or postponed in the event of additional storms.
Any Independence homeowner who needs help removing storm debris from around the home due to physical or other substantial limitations should call 2-1-1 for screening and referral services, as this is a limited service. United Way 211 and the Community Services League are helping coordinate this effort.