With the Jackson County Courthouse in downtown Kansas City closed this week, the Jackson County Circuit Court continues to shift some of its operations.
The courthouse at 415 E. 12th St. is closed because of building repairs from a water line break that happened overnight into Monday. The building also was closed last Thursday and Friday due to flooding in the basement.
Self-represented (pro se) litigants can now file civil documents nearby at the criminal records department in the Riederer Criminal Justice Complex, 1315 Locust St. The criminal records department is on the first floor of the building.
Pro se litigants can also file documents with the civil records department at the Eastern Jackson County Courthouse, 308 W. Kansas Ave., Independence.
Location changes for Wednesday include:
• Division 10, adult abuse hearings, 8:30 a.m., Riederer Complex, 1315 Locust St.
• Division 25, dockets at 9 a.m. and 10 a.m., Riederer Complex, 1315 Locust St.
• Division 29, dockets at 9 a.m. and 10 a.m., Kansas City Municipal Court, 511 E. 11th St.
• Division 43, docket at noon, Kansas City Municipal Court, 511 E. 11th St.
• Division 31, dockets at 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m., Riederer Complex, 1315 Locust St. (UPDATE: These dockets have already been rescheduled)
These changes will be posted on doors of the downtown courthouse and on the court's website, and court staff will be on hand to direct people to the new locations, each just half-block away.
Self-represented litigants whose hearings were canceled due to the building closure will receive a notice of hearing through the mail for their rescheduled hearing.
The court said it apologizes that the location for all court hearings scheduled for Wednesday could not be changed due to lack of courtroom space elsewhere. Judges and their staffs are working with attorneys to reschedule hearings.
Records department staff will be able to assist litigants with questions regarding their case scheduling. Staff can be reached at:
• Civil records: 816-881-4474
• Criminal records: 816-881-4501 or 881-3141
• Probate records: 816-881-4552
Changes to the locations of court hearings will be updated daily until the downtown courthouse is reopened.
PROSECUTOR'S OFFICE: With the courthouse closed, the Jackson County Prosecutor's Office has set up a temporary office inside the Kansas City Police Department headquarters for its Kansas City attorneys and support staff. The displaced staff began working Tuesday morning inside the community room at the headquarters building.
Other space has been secured for depositions, the prosecutor's office says, and the main phone line for the prosecutor's office, 816-881-3555, is being monitored and answered at another location during work hours.
The change does not effect the prosecutor's office in Independence.