The second teenager who pleaded guilty in connection with the brutal stabbing death of Tanya Chamberlain more than three years ago in Lee's Summit has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Joshua Trigg, 17, of Grandview, pleaded guilty last November to second-degree murder, first-degree robbery and two counts of armed criminal action. Friday morning, Circuit Judge Jennifer Phillips sentenced Trigg to 15 years on each count, to run concurrently

In January, Phillips sentenced 18-year-old Trevon Henry to life in prison plus 50 years after pleading guilty to first-degree murder, robbery and armed criminal action.

Trigg and Henry were 13 and 14 years old, respectively, at the time of Chamberlain's murder, which happened shortly after midnight on Nov. 1, 2015 after Chamberlain parked at a carwash. Both were later certified to stand trial as adults. According to court documents, Trigg told police that Henry planned to stab Chamberlain to take her vehicle and he saw Henry cut her throat and stab her multiple times.

Chamberlain had taken her car to a carwash on Langsford Road, just east of Missouri 291, shortly after midnight on Nov. 1, 2015. According to court documents, video surveillance from a neighboring grocery store showed two individuals – later identified by tipsters as Henry and Trigg – walk to the area where Chamberlain's car was parked at a vacuum spot, then get into the car with her in the driver's seat.

The video stopped recording briefly due to the time change for daylight saving time, and when it started recording again Chamberlain's car and all three people could not be seen. Both Henry and Trigg were seen on earlier video footage from the grocery store.

Shortly after the car had left the carwash, a Lee's Summit police officer noticed a car a couple blocks west driving erratically and without headlights. When the officer tried to stop the vehicle, it went through an apartment parking lot and became stuck in wet grass and mud. The driver and a passenger ran, and the officer gave chase but lost sight after falling inside an open concrete drain. When the officer returned to the car, he found Chamberlain dead in the front passenger seat with cuts to her face and a bloody knife on the backseat. She had been stabbed numerous times.

Both Henry and Trigg were arrested three days later at their homes, and investigators found clothing that they wore the night of the murder, some of which had Chamberlain's blood on them. Henry did not want to talk with police, but his mother was allowed to talk with him. While most of their conversation was inaudible, police did hear Henry say he was with Trigg when Chamberlain was killed, and they had “jumped her” to get inside her car and then ran away when police pulled them over. Henry also asked his mother what she did with his clothes from that night, and she said she threw them away.