1. “Yerma” – Truman High School's production of the dramatic play about a young Spanish wife's anguish in dealing with infertility. Opening night was Wednesday, and the show also runs at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $7 in advance at the high school, 3301 S. Noland Road, Independence, and $9 at the door.
2. Book sale – The Independence branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) is hosting its annual used book sale 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. today through Saturday in front of Macy’s at Independence Center. Proceeds fund scholarships for Independence School District female high school students.
3. “Kid-o-vation” rubber band car race – 11 a.m. Saturday at the Mid-Continent Public Library Blue Springs South branch, 2220 S. Missouri 7. For ages 6 and older. Participants create model race cars from simple household materials. Registration is required. Go to www.mymcpl.org/events to register.
4. Farmers market – Shielded from whatever elements Mother Nature continues to let loose at the Independence Uptown Market, 211 W. Truman Road, this winter produce and craft vendors will be indoors. Hours are 9 a.m. to noon.
5. Medicare made easy – 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. Friday at the Trails West branch of the Kansas City Public Library, 11401 E. 23rd St., Independence. Learn everything you need to know about Medicare in plain English. No registration is required