1. Burr Oak Woods Conservation Area – The Nature Center at Burr Oak Woods, 1401 N.W. Park Road, Blue Springs, has several walk-in events Saturday. Options include: a discussion about “lightning bugs” from 10 to 11 a.m; nature tales from 11 a.m. to noon for ages 2 and older; critter feeding from 3 to 3:30 p.m. for amphibians, fish and turtles; and the Firefly Experience from 8 to 9:30 p.m., which includes a hike into the darkening woods.
2. 'Take Flight' at the library – 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 p.m. Saturday, Blue Springs North Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library, 850 N.W. Hunter Drive. Explore the solar system and beyond with astronauts, aliens, asteroids and a talking moon all from StoneLion Puppet Theatre. Registration requested at mymcpl.org.
3. Royals Scholastic Victory Program – 3 to 4:30 p.m. Friday at Blue Springs North Branch of Mid-Continent Public Library, 850 N.W. Hunter Drive), and 2 to 3:30 p.m. Saturday at the North Independence Branch (317 West U.S. 24). A unique learning experience presented by the Kansas City Royals. The program for children ages 6 and older combines baseball with hands-on activities in math, science, history, and grammar for an exciting twist on our national pastime. Registration requested at mymcpl.org.
4. Animals at the Amp – 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday at Legacy Park, 897 N.E. Bluestem Drive, Lee's Summit. Join Mid-Continent Public Library and Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation for an animal adventure at Legacy Park Amphitheater. Meet a horse and comb its hair. Greet an owl from Wings of Love Bird Haven. Get to know some of the animals rescued by Operation Wildlife and much more.
5. Bandit Run – An annual run by muscle car enthusiasts, hosted by Restore a Muscle Car out of Lincoln, Nebraska, will be ending its week-long trek with a parade Saturday morning in Buckner. The drivers will be leaving their Blue Springs hotel for Buckner at 10 a.m. Saturday. The drivers have a private party in Heisler Burns Park in Buckner after the parade.