These classes and groups at Vesper Hall, 400 N.W. Vester St. in Blue Springs, are beginning soon and require prior registration by calling 816-228-0181 or visiting www.bluespringsgov.com/Vesper.
• Alzheimer’s support group, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., beginning Thursday This group meets on the second Thursday of the month. The Heart of America Alzheimer's Association sponsors this group for caregivers of persons with Alzheimer’s and dementia. Free.
• Bereavement Group, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month. It is open to anyone who has experienced the loss of a loved one. The support group assists individuals in expressing, understanding and coping with the loss in a safe and compassionate environment. Facilitated by professional staff with Three Rivers Hospice. Free.
• AARP driving course. 1-5 p.m., July 18, Vesper Hall. Cost: $15 for AARP members, $20 for non-members.
• Beginner line dancing, 6-7 p.m. Wednesdays through July 31. Country and non-country music is used. Singles or couples welcome. Must be 13 or older. Cost is $29.
• East Coast swing dance lessons. 7:15-8:45 p.m. on Thursdays through Aug. 8. Cost: $21.
Also, these family-oriented events are coming up later this week:
• 3-2-1 Blast Off! – 2 p.m. Thursday, Colbern Road branch of the Mid-Continent Public Library, 1000 N.E. Colbern Road, Lee’s Summit. Travel back to meet Galileo and Isaac Newton to learn about gravity. Build your own rocket and launch it with a mixture of solid and liquid fuels and see it rise off the launch pad. Ages 8 and up. Registration required. Go to mymcpl.org/event or call 816-525-0024.
• Ladybugs and Butterflies, 10 to 11 a.m. Wednesday, Burr Oak Woods, 1401 N.W. Park Road, Blue Springs. Learn why ladybugs and butterflies are two of our favorite insects and how they both go through a magical change. Registration is required. Call 816-228-3766 or go to www.mdc.mo.gov/burroakwoods.
• Family creek exploration: 10 to 11 a.m. Saturday, Burr Oak Woods, 1401 N.W. Park Road, Blue Springs. Trek into a creek ecosystem to discover what depends on Burr Oak Creek for survival. Splish and splash in the mud and water fin search of tadpoles, fish, insects and more. Do not wear a swimsuit and do wear closed-toed shoes. Program starts at the Bethany Falls parking lot. Call 816-228-3766 for further information. No registration required.