1. Santa-Cali-Gon Days Festival – The free 47th annual festival runs Friday through Monday around the Square in Independence, though the carnival is also open 5 p.m.-midnight Thursday (carnival games and rides are not free). There will be hundreds of vendors, including food, the Main Street 1849 Experience and an entertainment lineup highlighted by Wynonna and The Big Noise on Friday night and Whitey Morgan and the 78's on Saturday night. Go to www.santacaligon.com for a full schedule.
2. Irish Fest – The annual Kansas City Irish Fest is this weekend at Crown Center Square around 25th and Grand in Kansas City. Gates are open 5-11 p.m. Friday and 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. There will be more than 30 bands on seven stages, heritage workshops and displays, comedy, genealogy, a large children's area, food and whiskey tasting (extra cost). Tickets are available online at kcririshfest.com through Thursday at $12 for Friday and $15 for Saturday or Sunday. On-site admission is $15 and $18, respectively.
3. Burr Oak Woods – As usual, Burr Oak Woods Conservation Nature Center, 1401 N.W. Park Road, Blue Springs, has several free walk-in events this weekend. There's snake feeding at 3 p.m. Friday, the regular critter feeding for amphibians, fish and turtles at 3 p.m. Saturday and Rockin' & Readin' Nature Tales at 11 a.m. Saturday for ages 2-older.
4. Open Tech Time – 2-3 p.m. Saturday at the Sugar Creek branch of the Kansas City Public Library, 102 S. Sterling Ave. For adults who are computer novices. Staff can assist people with setting up an email account, searching the internet, navigating popular websites, downloading apps on a smartphone and much more.
5. Chair yoga – 2-3 p.m. Friday at Mid Continent Public Library – Blue Springs South Branch, 2220 S. Missouri 7. For those who have wanted to try yoga but have trouble getting up and down off the floor, this class is for you. You’ll learn basic poses, simple breathing exercises and slow-paced stretching. Registration needed; go to mymcpl.org/events.