Events in September at the Blue Springs North branch of the Mid-Continent Public Library, 860 N.W. Hunter Drive, 816-224-8772.
• Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
• Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
• Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
• Sunday, 1-5 p.m.
Register for programs at mymcpl.org/events.
• Book Group: 7 p.m. Sept. 5. Enjoy lively discussion, learn which books inspire others, and talk about your favorite books. Call or visit the branch to find out what they are reading next. Geared toward adults.
• Kid STEAM: 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Explore science, technologies, engineering, arts and math. Ages 6 and up.
• Play and Learn Time: 10 a.m. Tuesdays. Strengthen early literacy skills. Stimulating and fun activities as well as the opportunity to meet other preschoolers and their parents. The open playtime allows you to come and go as your schedule permits. Ages 3 and up. Registration is not required.
• Read to a Pet: 4:30 p.m. Sept. 23. Read to some very good listeners – Pet Partners registered therapy pets. They are available for 10-minute sessions to help children improve their reading skills and build self-confidence. Space is limited. Check with the local branch for more information. Ages 3 and up.
• Self-Defense for Families: 10:30 a.m. Sept. 7. A lesson in simple offensive and defensive moves, including hand-striking and kicking/knee techniques. Ages 7 and up.
• Storytime for Families: 6:30 p.m. Mondays, 10 a.m. Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Stories, songs, jmovement activities and more. Designed for families of all ages.
• Otaku Club: 6:30 p.m. Sept. 24. A celebration of all things anime, from Japanese culture and manga to cosplay and anime screenings.
• Teen Screen: 6:30 p.m. Sept. 10.