North Independence branch of the Mid-Continent Public Library, 317 West U.S. 24, Independence, 816-252-0950.
• Monday through Thursday – 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• Friday – 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Saturday – 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Sunday – 1 to 5 p.m.
The North Independence branch will be closed Oct. 7 to Oct. 21 for remodeling. After Oct. 21, only portions of the library will be open until the construction is complete. As a result of this construction, multiple events have been canceled or rescheduled. The listing below includes classes that are currently scheduled, but it’s be important to check mymcpl.org/events or call 816 252-0950 to determine whether any changes have been made to the schedule.
Unless otherwise stated, pre-registration is required for all events.
• Read and Feed: 4-5 p.m., Oct. 22, 23, 25, 28, 29, 30, and 31. MCPL is partnering with Harvesters to provide free meals to kids 18 and under during the school year.
• Beginning American Sign Language: 6-7:30 p.m., Oct. 28, Community Room 2. This four-week course, beginning on Oct. 28, presents the numbers 1-100, ASL’s manual alphabet, and the signs for up to 50 short sentences. Practice between sessions is highly recommended.
• Book Group: “The Stranger Beside Me,” by Ann Rule: 7-8 p.m. Oct. 21, conference room.
• Book Group: “Color Me Murder,” by Krista Davis: 7-8 p.m., Oct. 28, conference room. Come discuss this book.
• ELL/ESL Clases Para Adulto: 6:30 p.m. Oct. 29 and Oct 31, computer lab.
Las clases de inglés para principiantes son guiadas por instructores profesionales y con muchos años de experiencia. Aprenda cómo comunicarse en lugares sociales, en la escuela, su trabajo, o durante casos de emergencia. Las clases duran 90 minutos y reúnen dos veces a la semana por siete semanas.
English classes for beginners will be guided by professional instructors. Learn how to communicate in social places, school, your job, or during emergencies. Classes run for 90 minutes and will meet twice a week for seven weeks.
• Game Day at the Library: 6:30 p.m. Oct. 4. Meet and mingle with fellow gaming enthusiasts, share your favorite pastimes, and maybe try something new.
• Master of Horror: H.P. Lovecraft: 6-6:45 p.m. Oct. 22, community room 1. Explore horror author H.P. Lovecraft’s life, his influences, the Cthulhu Mythos, and how he developed as a horror author.
• Social Media Advertising Workshop, Facebook Ads: 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Oct. 18. Take a close look at social media advertising. Learn strategies to create content and advertise strategically. Attendees must have extensive experience with Facebook to prepare them for this in-depth workshop. Registration is required: please email Morgan Perry at firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
• Boo-tifully Sculpted Scene: 6 p.m. Oct. 10. Use tissue paper and Model Magic to create a fall scene with a mini tree, ghost, and pumpkins mounted on a base for holiday decorating. Ages 6 and up.
• Fear Factor – The Gross Stuff: 2 p.m. Oct. 25, Children’s Community Room. Take on the role of an animal and learn about the weird and gross traits that help that animal survive. Then guess which animal you are. Ages 5 and up.
• Storytime for Families: 10-10:30 a.m., Oct. 23, 24, 25, 30, and 31, Children’s Community Room. Share the early literacy experience with the whole family.
• Kid Lit, “The House with a Clock in its Walls,” by John Bellairs: 2 - 3 p.m., Oct. 18. Registration is required.
• Storytime for Babies: 9:15-9:35 a.m. Oct. 22, Oct. 29, children’s community room. A fun and engaging storytime for babies, designed to build an early literacy foundation through play and one-on-one interaction with a parent or caregiver.
• Play and Learn Time: 10-11 a.m., Oct. 22, Oct. 26, Oct. 29, children’s community room. Preschool playtime designed to stimulate young minds.
• Kid STEAM, B-oobleck Slime: 6-7 p.m., Oct. 24, children’s community room. Explore science, technology, engineering, arts and math.
• Zoo to You: 3 p.m. Oct. 5. Kansas City Zoo staff and docents will provide touchable artifacts and bring three or four animals for an informal presentation. Ages 3 and up.