Many events are planned for November at the Grain Valley branch of the Mid-Continent Public Library, 101 S.W. Eagles Parkway. For further information or to register for events, call 816-228-4020 or go to mymcpl.org/events. Unless otherwise stated, registration is required for all events.
• Monday through Thursday – 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Friday – 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Saturday – 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
All MCPL branches will be closed on Monday, Nov. 11, and will close at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 27 and all day Nov. 28 for Thanksgiving.
• Free full-length, diagnostic practice ACT Test: 8 a.m., Nov. 2. MCPL and the Sylvan Learning Center are working together to give you a chance to take a free practice ACT Test. You will need to bring a No. 2 pencil, a calculator, a watch, and a valid email address for the results to be sent to you. You may want to bring a snack and drink for the break. This is a full version of the ACT and will last about four hours. The test will begin right at the start time, so arrive 30 minutes early. No late arrivals will be allowed to participate after the test begins.
• Book Group: 6:30 p.m. Nov. 4 and 5. Meet like-minded people, enjoy lively discussion, learn which books inspire others, and talk about your favorite books! Call or visit a branch to find out what they are reading next.
• Managing the Photos on Your Smartphone: 2 p.m. Nov. 5. Learn about the various methods of storing and organizing your smartphone photos.
• NaNoWriMo Write-In: 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays. We’re here to help you generate 50,000 words in 30 caffeine-fueled days during National Novel Writing Month by hosting library write-ins. Join us for a month of reckless literary abandon! Each session runs for at least one hour.
• Pinterest: 2 p.m. Nov. 19. Pinterest is a virtual bulletin board, that allows you to organize and share content from all over the internet. Learn how to save pins and create your own unique boards.
• Social Media and You: 2 p.m. Nov 12. Satisfy your curiosity about some of the more popular social media sites, such as Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.
• Cocoa with A Cop: 10:30 a.m. Nov 9. Stories, cocoa and crafts with officers from the Police Department. For all ages.
• Dino O’Dell’s Happy Birthday, Marty: 10:30 a.m., Nov. 6. Join the fun as Dino and Marty celebrate together with singing and dancing. All ages.
• Play and Learn Time: 5:30 p.m. Mondays (except Nov. 11), 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays, 5 p.m., Thursdays (except Thanksgiving). Preschool playtime designed to stimulate young minds. Stimulating and fun activities as well as the opportunity to meet other preschoolers and their parents. The open playtime allows you to come and go as your schedule permits. (Ages 3 and up) Registration is not required.
• Storytelling Celebration 2019: 10:30 a.m. Nov. 16. The Kansas City Storytelling Celebration features storytellers at various locations throughout the metro area. For a complete listing of events, go to www.mcckc.edu/storytelling. All ages.
• Storytime for Families: 6 p.m. Thursdays (except Thanksgiving). Hear stories, sing songs, join in movement activities and more. All ages.
• Storytime for Toddlers: 10 a.m. Wednesdays. Designed for toddlers between 18 and 36 months old and one-on-one caregivers. Program may require parental participation.
• Storytime in the Park: 12:30 p.m., Nov. 19. Meet at Armstrong Park for a family storytime. Listen to stories, sing songs, and join in a turkey scavenger hunt. For children.