Many events are planned for this month at the South Independence branch of the Mid-Continent Public Library, 13700 E. 35th St. To register for events, call 816-461-2050 or go to mymcpl.org/events. Unless otherwise stated, registration is required.
• Monday through Thursday – 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• Friday – 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Saturday – 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Sunday – 1 to 5 p.m.
All MCPL branches will be closed Nov. 11. Also, all branches will close at 5 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 27, and will be closed Nov. 28 for Thanksgiving.
• Adulting 101, Buying a Car: 7 p.m., Nov. 7. Learn about the online resources available to help with the process.
• Book Group: 2 p.m. Nov. 5, 19 and 25, 7 p.m. Nov. 21. Meet people who read, enjoy lively discussion, learn which books inspire others, and talk about your favorite books.
• Craft Group: 6 p.m., Nov. 12. Quilt, knit, scrapbook, crochet, and more.
• Intermediate ELL/ESL Classes for Adults/Clases de Ingles Inermediarias: 6:30 p.m., Mondays and Wednesdays (except Nov. 11 and Nov. 27)
Las clases de inglés avanzadas son guiadas por instructores profesionales y con muchos años de experiencia. Aprenda cómo comunicarse en lugares sociales, en la escuela, su trabajo, o durante casos de emergencia. Las clases duran 90 minutos y reúnen dos veces a la semana por siete semanas.
Intermediate English classes will be guided by professional instructors with many years of experience. Learn how to communicate in social places, school, your job, or during emergencies. Classes run for 90 minutes and will meet twice a week for seven weeks.
• Medicare Part D Enrollment Event: 10 a.m., Nov. 22. Sign up for a one-on-one appointment with a trained CLAIM counselor who can answer your questions about your Part D or Advantage plan. CLAIM is Missouri’s State Health Assistance Insurance Program, offering free, confidential Medicare counseling and education to Missouri’s Medicare beneficiaries. Call 800-390-3330 to make your appointment.
• Beginning Excel: 7 p.m., Nov. 19. Learn Microsoft Excel basic terminology, spreadsheet navigation, and formula writing to create a simple spreadsheet.
• Tech Talk: 2 p.m., Nov. 18. There are always questions waiting to be asked about technology. Bring your questions and your own laptop computer or tablet.
• Winter Birding 101: 2 p.m., Nov. 2. Discover which birds make Missouri their winter home, learn how to identify them, and create a feeder for birds to enjoy.
• Kid STEAM: 5 p.m., Nov. 5 and 19. Explore sciences, technologies, engineering, arts, and math. Ages 6 and up.
• Marty’s Party: 3 p.m., Nov. 22. It’s Marty’s birthday, and he wants to celebrate with you. Come to the party, meet Marty, and enjoy stories, songs, refreshments and fun. All ages.
• Play and Learn Time: 4 p.m., Nov. 4 and 18. Preschool playtime designed to stimulate young minds and strengthen early literacy skills.The open playtime allows you to come and go as your schedule permits. Ages 3 and up. No registration required.
• Read and Feed: 4-5 p.m., Monday through Friday except Nov. 11 and Thanksgiving. MCPL is partnering with Harvesters in providing free meals to kids 18 and under throughout the school year.
• Storytime for Babies: 9 a.m., Nov. 7, 14 and 21. Designed to build an early literacy foundation through play and one-on-one interaction with a parent or caregiver. Ages 1 and up.
• Storytime for Families: 10 a.m., Nov. 7, 14 and 21. Stories, songs and movement activities, All ages.
• Storytime for Toddlers: 10 a.m. Wednesdays. Designed for toddlers between 18 and 36 months old and one-on-one caregivers. Program may require parental participation.
• WeDo LEGO Robotics: Drumming Monkey: 2 p.m., Nov. 9. Build a musical monkey, and program him to drum to your beat. Kids will work in pairs to make this simple robot. Ages 8 and up.
• Zoo to You: 2 p.m., Nov. 23. Kansas City Zoo staff and docents will provide touchable artifacts and bring three or four animals for an informal presentation and discussion. Ages 3 and up.
• Teens at the Library: 4 p.m., Wednesdays. Discover what we’ve planned just for you. Registration is required.