• Veterans’ Day Celebration at Vesper Hall: 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., 400 N.W. Vesper Street, Blue Springs, 816-228-0181. The Blue Springs Parks and Recreation Department offers a Veterans’ Day Celebration. Veterans and spouses will receive tokens of appreciation. The Vesper Choir will present patriotic songs and there will be a recitation of “In Flanders Fields.” Lunch will be provided. Please register for the lunch by calling 816-228-0181.
• Veterans’ Day Recognition at Palmer Center: 12:30 a.m., 218 N. Pleasant St., Independence. No registration is necessary for the 12:30 event. However, registration is required for the regular 11:30 lunch; call 816-325-6200.
• Military Appreciation Weekend: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday through Monday, Kansas City Zoo, 6800 Zoo Drive, Kansas City. All military personnel (retired, active, veterans, etc.) with a valid ID will receive complimentary admission.
• Lee’s Summit Veterans’ Day Parade: Noon, beginning at the Lee’s Summit High School parking lot. This parade is sponsored by the Jack Ray Post, Veterans of Foreign Wars. From the high school, the parade will head west onto Eighth Street, continuing on to Green Street. At Seventh Street, the parade will turn left and then turn right onto Douglas Street. Then the parade will turn left onto Third Street and then right onto Main Street, ending at Second Street.
• Calvary Baptist Church honors veterans: 10:45 a.m., at 1915 N. Liberty, Independence. Rev. Jonathan Wallenbeck (retired), USAF, will be the guest speaker. A reception will be held following the service. All are invited to share in this celebration of veterans and current military personnel.
• Veterans’ Day Ceremony: 10 a.m., Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care, St. Mary’s Village, 111 N,W, Mock Ave., Blue Springs. Any local veteran may attend and will receive recognition for their service to our country. The event will include special music, flag ceremonies, and salutes from friends and relatives. Veterans will be presented with tokens of appreciation for their service. Refreshments will be served. For further information, call 816-333-9200 and asked for Becca or Paula.
• Van Horn High School Veterans’ Day Program: 10 a.m., 1109 S. Arlington Ave, Independence. John Musgrave, a Vietnam veteran who was featured in the Ken Burns PBS series on the Vietnam War, will speak. The school’s color guard will present the flag, and the school choir will perform the national anthem. Local veterans are invited to attend the program at 10 a.m. and then to stay for a luncheon provided by the student council. Reservations are needed for the luncheon; call 816-888-0491.
• Metropolitan Community College Veterans’ Day Concert: 7 p.m., Blue River Community College, 20301 E. Missouri 78, Independence. The Spirit of Independence Concert Band and Blue River’s Metropolitan Chorale of Kansas City will present a concert of patriotic music honoring veterans. The Van Horn High School Color Guard will present colors. Everyone is invited to attend this free concert.