A Lee's Summit man who admitted to police that he was a heroin addict faces up to 20 years in federal prison after pleading guilty illegally buying and owning at least 15 guns and lying to make a gun purchase.

Jay Miller, 28, pleaded guilty Monday in federal court in Kansas City to one count of possessing guns while being an unlawful drug user and one count of making a false statement on a federal form, falsely claiming he was not a drug addict or illegal drug user in order to buy a gun from an Independence pawn shop.

With his guilty plea, Miller admitted he illegally bought or tried to buy more than 15 guns from five dealers between September 2016 and March 2018. Over the past couple years, police have dealt with several shootings or disturbances involving Miller:

• October 2016: Offices responding to a disturbance at Independence Center found Miller in the parking lot with a gun holstered on his hip. In his car, they found a handgun next a loaded syringe, along with three fully loaded magazines.

• August 2017: Lee's Summit officers responded to a shots-fired call at Miller's home and found a loaded rifle, shell casings, a loaded handgun and various drug-related items. A detective tried to interview Miller, but was unable to do so because Miller was under the influence of a controlled substance.

• September 2017: Lee's Summit officers found 11 syringes with a small plastic bag with residue in Miller’s home. Miller then admitted to being a heroin user since 2013 and for a couple months had been using at least once a day, according to court documents. He also admitted to selling heroin to friends 10 to 15 times and shooting a gun at another person the months before and claimed to have had 10 guns stolen from him.

• May 2018: Lee's Summit officers responded to a shooting at Miller's home. He had argued with another person, the altercation became physical and the other person was shot in the chest. Officers found a pistol and a rifle underneath Miller's back porch.

Miller is to be sentenced at a later date. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and police from Independence, Lee's Summit and Kansas City investigated the case.