Some will take down their Christmas tree on Thursday, some a few days later, some a couple weeks later.
For those who put up and decorated a natural tree, or have natural wreaths and garlands, residents have a variety of options to recycle those items – many of them free. The Mid-America Regional Council Recycled notes that trees and greenery can be used after mulching for trail surfaces, erosion control and landscaping and as a fish habitat in local ponds and lakes. Furthermore, Missouri bans yard waste materials from landfills, including Christmas trees and greenery.
“Residents should contact their trash hauler first to see if they provide curbside pick-up, since that is most convenient,” said Matt Riggs, outreach coordinator for the MARC Solid Waste Management District. “If not, there are plenty of other pick-up and drop-off options available.”
For Sugar Creek residents, the city's trash contractor includes tree pick-up. Other pick-up options include: Compost Connection (816-761-8300) and Lawn-Corps Curbside Recycling (816-761-3046).
Nearby drop-off locations include:
• Blue Springs: Pink Hill Park, 2715 NW Park Road (call 816-228-0110 for more information).
• Buckner: Yard waste drop-off site at 2500 O'Donnell Road (for Buckner residents only, 816-650-3191).
• Kansas City, East Bottoms: Leaf and Brush Drop-Off Site, 1815 N. Chouteau Trafficway (816-888-7941).
• Kansas City (East): Missouri Organic Recycling, Inc., 7700 E. U.S. 40, just west of Interstate 435 (816-483-0908).
• Kansas City (Southeast): Leaf and Brush Drop-Off Site, 10301 Raytown Road (816-888-7959).
• Lee’s Summit: Resource Recovery Park PDA, 2101 SE Hamblen Road (816-550-1612).
• Sugar Creek: Courtney Ridge Landfill, 1701 N. Missouri 291 (816-257-7999).
The Missouri Department of Conservation notes that if you used a live Christmas tree and the ground outside your house is soft enough to spade up, the tree can be replanted for added landscape and wildlife shelter.
For more information about tree recycling and locations, go to recyclespot.org or call 816-474-8326.