A house fire early morning Thursday displaced people from half of a Blue Springs duplex.

The fire happened in a duplex at the 2900 block of Northwest Canterbury Road, in the neighborhood just south of South Outer Road. A spokesperson for the Central Jackson County Fire Protection District said the cause appears to be accidental, but one half of the duplex uninhabitable and the Red Cross was called for assistance.

People who lived in the other half of the duplex did return home, the spokesperson said.