As a result of the COVID-19 emergency, there have been modifications and reductions in Independence city services which will continue through mid-May. City staff will continue to work throughout this time, though the way in which they deliver services will be modified.
To check on updates or ask questions about services, visit indep.us/coronavirus or email questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some of the temporary modifications in services include:
• City Hall and the Independence Utilities Center will remain closed.
• The Regional Animal Shelter is closed to the public and there will be no adoptions or surrenders of stray or owned animals unless deemed an emergency. For questions call 816-325-7207.
• Building permit requests will be completed online at indep.us/permitportal. All other permits will be completed by digital appointment only. For an appointment or questions, call 816-325-7401.
• Liquor administrative hearings have been canceled.
• Business license renewals will be completed at indep.us/businesslicenses or by calling 816-325-7079.
• Code enforcement administrative hearings have been canceled. Code enforcement officers will have limited contact in the field.
• Fire department commercial inspections have been halted. Public access to fire stations is now restricted. The fire department ride-along program has been suspended.
• Restaurant inspections have been suspended.
• Food handler and manager classes have been canceled.
• Independence Municipal Court cases have been postponed. Payments of fines will be accepted by phone or drop box outside of City Hall. No cash payments will be accepted.
• The Independence Police Department has closed the lobby at the Central Police Headquarters. A telephone is available in the vestibule to make/request police reports, speak with police personnel and request other services.
• Independence Parks and Recreation has closed the Palmer Senior Center, Truman Memorial Building, Sermon Community Center, George Owens Nature Park, Uptown Market, Silverstein Eye Centers Arena and all city-owned historic sites until May 15.
• The Department of Public Works has determined that all permit information and applications will be completed online at indep.us/publicworks. Discussion of plans, projects and other business will be conducted by phone, video conference or email.
– The Examiner staff