A public drive-thru visitation for fallen Independence firefighter David Jameson will take place from 4 to 7 p.m. Sunday at Cable-Dahmer Arena on Valley View Parkway. A private service and then a procession past Jameson’s fire station and to the cemetery will take place Monday.

Jameson, 52, died last Thursday after he suffered a medical emergency while responding to a fire call. He served 23 years for the Independence Fire Department and was part of the department’s hazardous material team.

Due to public health precautions, the public will not be able to exit their vehicles during Sunday’s drive-thru visitation at the arena. The procession will be directed around the arena parking lot beginning at the lot’s east entrance off Valley View Parkway (next to Golden Corral). Following visitation there will be a public safety procession around the arena parking lot.

A private funeral service will take place Monday, followed by a procession starting at 1:30 p.m. led by police and fire vehicles from Speaks Suburban Chapel on 39th Street. The procession will pass by Fire Station 5, 11301 E. 35th St., just east of Sterling Avenue, before going to Oak Ridge Memory Gardens, on Salisbury Road east of Missouri 291, for a private graveside service.

In honor of Jameson, the International Association of Fire Fighters Local 781 Good and Welfare has established the David F. Jameson Memorial Fund to benefit his family. Checks can be made payable to: Independence Firefighters Local 781, Memo: David F Jameson Jr. Memorial, and mailed to: IAFF Local 781 Professional Firefighters of Independence, 320 E. Pacific Ave., Independence MO 64050.

Jameson died after he and others responded about 1 p.m. Thursday to a reported residential fire on the city’s west edge.

When crews arrived at the scene, Jameson said he was feeling short of breath and stayed behind in the truck with one other firefighter while colleagues snuffed out an illegal open burn. When firefighters returned to the trucks, Jameson fell unresponsive and colleagues started emergency procedures and called for an ambulance. He was later pronounced dead at the hospital.