Two people have been charged in a March 31 shooting that left that left an Independence girl with permanent damage to her face.

The shooting involved two moving vehicles in the area of Truman Road and Winchester Avenue in Kansas City. The victim, a 5-year-old girl, was inside one of the cars when police found it in western Independence. Kansas City Police say the girl is recovering and will need further surgeries, but the bullet missed vital organs.

Andres Roldan, 36, of Kansas City, and Teresa Ramirez-Martinez, 41, of Grandview each face charges in Jackson County of first-degree assault, unlawful use of a weapon and two counts of armed criminal action. They were arrested in late April.

According to Kansas City Police, an officer working off-duty security at a convenience store heard gunshots and saw a man hanging out the window of an SUV and holding a rifle. As that officer reported the shooting and other officers arrived, dispatchers received a 911 call from someone inside the other car saying a child had been shot. Independence Police found that car at the child’s home just south of Truman Road in a west-side neighborhood, and the girl was taken to the hospital. KCPD found shell casings from different guns at the original scene.

The child’s mother told police she was having a feud with the driver of the SUV, a woman named Teresa. Investigators soon found video of Ramirez-Martinez driving in the area about the time of the shooting and eventually arrested her for a parole violation. When arrested, she had a stolen handgun that matched shell casings from the shooting scene. She said she only knew the shooter by his street name “Fantasma” – Spanish for ghost.

After interviews with people who only knew Fantasma by that name, database analysis and surveillance video helped police develop an image of Roldan, and victims and witnesses identified him from a lineup. Police found him on April 29 sleeping in a vehicle in a central Kansas City neighborhood, with a gun and body armor. According to people nearby, he had been sleeping in the vehicle for several weeks.

According to court records, Roldan has pleaded guilty to unlawful use of a weapon, property damage and tampering with a motor vehicle from 2005 to 2013 and also faces charges from a March 2017 case for unlawful possession and resisting arrest. He had pleaded not guilty and was wanted for failure to appear in that case.

Roldan’s and Ramirez-Martinez both had $100,000 cash bonds, though Roldan’s has since been reduced to 10 percent.