The Fort Osage School District is providing food, without charge, for children and, separately, for persons of all ages.
Both food programs are expected to be available for the next several weeks.
In combination with Liberty Fruit, the school district is offering boxes of fresh fruits, vegetables and dairy items. These boxes will be available to anyone of any age who comes to pick them up. The first pickup for these boxes will be today from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (or while supplies last) in front of Osage Trail Middle School, 2101 N. Twyman Road, Independence. Future pickup dates are to be announced later.
There is a limit of one box per car. Persons picking up a food box will remain in their car, and the box will be loaded into their trunk or back seat.
The district is also offering, without charge, breakfast and lunch food for children up to age 18. Throughout June, this food will be available for pickup 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. There is no requirement that the children be students in the Fort Osage School District.
The breakfast and lunch pickups are at six locations:
• Blue Hills Elementary School, 1911 N. Blue Mills Road, Independence.
• Buckner Elementary School, 13 S. Sibley St., Buckner.
• Cler-Mont Elementary School, 19009 E Susquehanna Ridge, Independence.
• Elm Grove Elementary School, 18000 E. Kentucky Road, Independence.
• McCoy Park, 800 N. Bess Truman Parkway, Independence.
• Hawthorne Place Apartments, 16995 E. Dover Lane, Independence.
Persons wishing to pick up the food for children may drive or walk to these locations and the food will be provided to them.
For further information, call 816-668-8125 or email email@example.com.
This program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food to Families Program.