Items for What’s Happening must be received by noon Thursday before publication on Saturday. Send information to Karl Zinke at email@example.com. Please include sport the announcement should be listed under. Dates are subject to change. Examiner is not responsible for tryouts. Please contact people listed for detailed information. The Examiner reserves the right to edit for length and content and remove any listings.
• The Kansas City T-Bones will hold an open tryout for the 2016 season at 10 a.m. April 23 at CommunityAmerica Ballpark in Kansas City, Kan. Members of the T-Bones coaching staff, former professional players and college coaches will conduct the tryout. Pre-registration is $90 per player and is due before April 15. On-site registration, which begins at 9 a.m. at Gate A on the morning of the tryout, is $105 per player. The coaching staff will evaluate players for a possible roster spot with the T-Bones, or to recommend them for other professional teams. For additional information about tryout registration, please contact Kacy Muller at 913-328-5640 firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Tryouts, YBC is looking for a few more players to fill out its age 16-18 rosters. Please contact Kyle Clifton at 816-824-7605 for details. You can also register for a tryout at www.yardbaseballclub.com.
• eXcel Mayflower Classic, May 14-15 at Shawnee Mission School District facilities, for boys and girls teams in grades 3-12. Cost is $135 per team with a three-game guarantee. Gold and silver divisions and all MSHSAA and KSHSAA certified officials. Deadline to register is 11 p.m. May 10. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting email@example.com or calling 816-916-9565.
• Kansas City NFL Alumni Heroes HeroesYouth Football Camp, June 27 to July 1 at William Chrisman High School in Independence. A week of safe, non-contact football instruction for children ages 6-14. Camps start at $129 per participant. The camp will run 8:30-11:30 a.m. each day at Independence All-School Stadium on the Chrisman campus. The Comprehensive Skills Camp is for newcomers ages 6-14. The Accelerated Skills Camp is for experienced players ages 9-14. For more information or to register, visit www.NFLAlumniYouthFootball.com or call 877-226-9919.
• The 2016 Drumm Farm Golf Club Ladies' 18 Hole Golf League begins with an organizational meeting on Tuesday, April 19, at 9 a.m. at the Drumm Farm Golf Club, 15400 E. 34th St., Independence. Registration fee is $60. There is a cost of $30 (plus tax) per week played. This includes greens fees, range balls and cart (league members may play for this same price Monday through Friday). Play begins at 8 a.m. Tuesday, April 26, and continues weekly on Tuesdays through Oct. 11. For further information and registration forms, call 816-350-9900 or visit the Drumm Farm website at www.drummfarmgolfclub.com and click on "Leagues." (Call if you are interested in participating in the nine-hole league.)
• Registration is open for 2016 Grass Masters Golf League at Adams Pointe Golf Club in Blue Springs. League will run every Thursday from May 5 through Sept. 15, with tee times beginning at 5 p.m. Format is two-person, best-ball for nine holes. There is a one-time $125 league registration fee per player and the weekly fee is $21 and includes greens fees, cart, prizes, award banquet and a USGA handicap. To register send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Adams Pointe at 816-220-3673 (FORE).
• The Independence Horseshoe Club meets at McCoy Park (U.S. 24 and Spring Street) 7-9 p.m. Thursday evenings. Open to all ages and skill levels. Each thrower has a partner and pitches two 50-shoe games. All games are 90 percent handicap. Cost of a NHPA sanction card is $28 per year. League membership is $15 per year. Cadets (age 12 and younger) pitch at 20 feet); juniors (18 and younger), women and men age 70 and older at 30 feet; and all others at 40 feet. For more information, contact Alvin Gwinn at 816-806-1726 or Nancy Gunter at 816-694-1800.
• 5th Annual Independence Park Trot, a free, family-friendly 5K set for Saturday, April 30. The Independence Health Department is partnering with Centerpoint Medical Center to hold the certified 5K event as part of the Building a Healthier Independence Initiative. The Park Trot will start at 8 a.m., rain or shine, at Waterfall Park, just south of Bass Pro Shops in Independence. The event has grown every year, with more than 2,000 people registered in 2015. Snacks and activities before, during and after the race. Online registration for the event is available at www.independenceparktrot.com and continues through April 17. The top three finishers in each age group will receive a medal and the top male and female finishers receive a plaque. Children ages 10 and younger are eligible to participate in a Kids Dash, which will begin after the completion of the 5K Run/Walk. A parent or legal guardian must sign a waiver for anyone under age 18 participating in the race. The race is free to all participants. Packet pick-up and in-person registration will be available from 3-7 p.m. Friday, April 29, at Bass Pro Shops, 18001 Bass Pro Drive, and 7-7:45 a.m. near the start of the course on Saturday, April 30. T-shirts are also available for purchase for $10 each in both children and regular adult sizes on the race website. The T-shirts will also be available in a limited supply on race day. For more information on the 5K, including sponsorship opportunities, contact the Independence Health Department at 816-325-7185.
• Northwest Missouri State University Tennis Camps are scheduled for June in Maryville, Mo., for ages 10-18. Camps run June 13-16, June 20-23 and June 27-30. Cost is $400 per person for a resident camper and $200 for a commuter (no lodging or meals). Classes taught by current Northwest team members and alumni. Northwest has 10 courts and a 6-to-1 training ratio per camper. For more information or to register, contact head coach Mark Rosewell at 660-562-1312 (fax: 660-562-1493) or email@example.com.