Items for What’s Happening must be received by noon Thursday before publication on Saturday. Send information to Karl Zinke at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include sport the announcement should be listed under. Dates are subject to change. Examiner is not responsible for tryouts. Please contact people listed for detailed information. The Examiner reserves the right to edit for length and content and remove any listings.
• Tryouts, YBC is looking for a few more players to fill out its age 16-18 rosters. Please contact Kyle Clifton at 816-824-7605 for details. You can also register for a tryout at www.yardbaseballclub.com.
• Betty Lennox’s Penn Valley Community College Basketball Camp, June 27-28, at the MCC-Penn Valley gymnasium. Girls and boys skills camp for grades 1-6 runs 9 a.m. to noon each day. Girls and boys elite camp for grades 7-12 runs 1-4 p.m. each day. Cost is $100 per participant for each camp. Campers will receive a T-shirt, individual evaluation and skills development with college coaches and athletes. Former WNBA, Louisiana Tech and Fort Osage High School star Betty Lennox will run the camp. To register or for more information, call 1-660-492-6184 or send email to email@example.com.
• eXcel Mayflower Classic, May 14-15 at Shawnee Mission School District facilities, for boys and girls teams in grades 3-12. Cost is $135 per team with a three-game guarantee. Gold and silver divisions and all MSHSAA and KSHSAA certified officials. Deadline to register is 11 p.m. May 10. Register, enter roster and pay at www.excelyouthbasketball.com or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 816-916-9565.
• Kansas City NFL Alumni Heroes HeroesYouth Football Camp, June 27 to July 1 at William Chrisman High School in Independence. A week of safe, non-contact football instruction for children ages 6-14. Camps start at $129 per participant. The camp will run 8:30-11:30 a.m. each day at Independence All-School Stadium on the Chrisman campus. The Comprehensive Skills Camp is for newcomers ages 6-14. The Accelerated Skills Camp is for experienced players ages 9-14. For more information or to register, visit www.NFLAlumniYouthFootball.com or call 877-226-9919.
• Registration is open for 2016 Grass Masters Golf League at Adams Pointe Golf Club in Blue Springs. League will run every Thursday from May 5 through Sept. 15, with tee times beginning at 5 p.m. Format is two-person, best-ball for nine holes. There is a one-time $125 league registration fee per player and the weekly fee is $21 and includes greens fees, cart, prizes, award banquet and a USGA handicap. To register send email to email@example.com or call Adams Pointe at 816-220-3673 (FORE).
• The Independence Horseshoe Club meets at McCoy Park (U.S. 24 and Spring Street) 7-9 p.m. Thursday evenings. Open to all ages and skill levels. Each thrower has a partner and pitches two 50-shoe games. All games are 90 percent handicap. Cost of a NHPA sanction card is $28 per year. League membership is $15 per year. Cadets (age 12 and younger) pitch at 20 feet); juniors (18 and younger), women and men age 70 and older at 30 feet; and all others at 40 feet. For more information, contact Alvin Gwinn at 816-806-1726 or Nancy Gunter at 816-694-1800.
• Smiles for Sara 5K Walk/Run, May 28, at Waterfall Park, near Bass Pro Shops, in Independence. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. and the 5K begins at 9 a.m. Cost is $25 per person for ages 12 and older. Children younger than 12 are free for the event sponsored by Christ the Rock Church. All proceeds donated to the Scleroderma Foundation. To register, visit www.therockkc.com/smilesforsara. For more information, call 816-510-3941.
• 5th Annual Independence Park Trot, a free, family-friendly 5K set for Saturday, April 30. The Independence Health Department is partnering with Centerpoint Medical Center to hold the certified 5K event as part of the Building a Healthier Independence Initiative. The Park Trot will start at 8 a.m., rain or shine, at Waterfall Park, just south of Bass Pro Shops in Independence. The event has grown every year, with more than 2,000 people registered in 2015. Snacks and activities before, during and after the race. The top three finishers in each age group will receive a medal and the top male and female finishers receive a plaque. Children ages 10 and younger are eligible to participate in a Kids Dash, which will begin after the completion of the 5K Run/Walk. A parent or legal guardian must sign a waiver for anyone under age 18 participating in the race. The race is free to all participants. Packet pick-up and in-person registration will be 7-7:45 a.m. near the start of the course on Saturday, April 30. T-shirts are also available for purchase for $10 each in both children and regular adult sizes on the race website. The T-shirts will also be available in a limited supply on race day. For more information on the 5K, including sponsorship opportunities, contact the Independence Health Department at 816-325-7185.
• Northwest Missouri State University Tennis Camps are scheduled for June in Maryville, Mo., for ages 10-18. Camps run June 13-16, June 20-23 and June 27-30. Cost is $400 per person for a resident camper and $200 for a commuter (no lodging or meals). Classes taught by current Northwest team members and alumni. Northwest has 10 courts and a 6-to-1 training ratio per camper. For more information or to register, contact head coach Mark Rosewell at 660-562-1312 (fax: 660-562-1493) or firstname.lastname@example.org.