KALAMAZOO, Mich. – Mike McMurtry’s regulation goal, and his lone shootout goal Wednesday morning at the Wings Events Center, led the Kansas City Mavericks to a 4-3 come-from-behind victory over the previously undefeated Kalamazoo Wings.

“Couldn’t be happier,” Mavericks coach John-Scott Dickson said by phone on the bus ride back to Independence. “We started the game strong, but didn’t have anything to show for it. They took a 1-0 lead and we got the late goal from (Bryce) Aneloski to tie it up after one period.”

Aneloski scored at 19:02 of the first period to even the score at 1-1.

The Wings (3-0-0-1) built a two-goal lead in the second as Kalamazoo’s Danny Moynihan added his second goal of the game and Scott Henegar scored his first goal of the season for the 3-1 advantage.

“There was no panic because the boys knew they had had some scoring opportunities and just didn’t take advantage of them,” Dickson said.

McMurtry responded with a power play goal at the 15:40 mark of the second period to pull the Mavericks within 3-2 before the intermission.

Matt Robertson tied the game with 8:11 remaining, scoring on a rebound from a Justin Breton shot. That forced the game into overtime, where neither team scored in the five-minute, 3-on-3 format.

McMurtry scored the lone shootout goal to make a winner of Mason McDonald, who replaced Tyler Parsons in goal after the first period. Representatives of the Mavericks’ NHL affiliate Calgary Flames were in attendance, so each goalie had an opportunity to play.

“Tyler has done a great job this season,” Dickson said, “and Mason came into today and played well in the two periods, overtime and the shootout.”

The Mavericks (3-1-0-0), who now trail Kalamazoo by a point (7-6) for the ECHL Central Division lead, will host the longtime rival Wichita Thunder at 7:05 p.m. Saturday in their first home game of the season.

“We’re all excited about getting home and playing in front of our fans after playing the first four games on the season on the road,” Dickson said.