FORT WAYNE, Ind. – John-Scott Dickson isn’t particularly fond of overtime games, but overtime wins are something he enjoys quite a bit.

Mike McMurtry was named first star of the game as he roofed a backhand 1:55 into the overtime period to steal the extra point in the contest for the 7-6-0-0 Mavericks Friday night at Allen County War Memorial Coliseum.

Tyler Parsons was in the net for the Mavericks, who have won three games in a row with the 20-year-old rookie standing between the pipes. It was the Mavericks second consecutive overtime win.

Parsons came up huge for the Mavericks throughout the game, including 17 saves in the first period. He has stopped 107 of 113 shots he has faced this week.

“I think our guys want to give me a heart attack,” quipped Dickson, as the Mavericks are headed to Moline, Illinois, for games Saturday and Sunday nights against the Quad City Mallards. “Another great performance by Parsons.

“He got a little dinged up in practice before the game, and Nick (Potter, Mavericks trainer) got him ready to go and he really responded. When a goalie is playing as well as Parsons has played during this three-game win streak, you’re happy to see him and his teammates rewarded with a victory.”

The 5-5-2-0 Komets struck first on a Cody Sol shot that found its way through a crowd of bodies and into the net. The lead did not last long, though, as Shawn Pauly scored his fifth goal of the season to draw even at one apiece.

“You could see this success coming,” said Pauly, who enjoyed his first hat trick in Tuesday’s 5-2 win over Tulsa at SEC Arena. “The guys are selling out, doing what it takes to win games and we’re getting the results we want. Parsons was huge tonight and we got enough goals to win.”

Nate Widman claimed his second goal of the year as the clock ticked down to under a minute, making it 2-1.

The second period looked similar to the first with the Komets maintaining the advantage in possession and shots, but the Mavericks claiming the edge in goals as Jared VanWormer scored his first professional goal just past the halfway point of the period to push Kansas City’s lead to 3-1 entering the final period of the game.

The Komets broke through in the third with two goals on 10 shots to force overtime and guarantee themselves a point, but McMurtry scored less than two minutes into the extra period to help the Mavericks go a game above .500.


“This was just a gritty, team win, the kind you like to see on the road,” Dickson said. “We’ve been working on so many things, watching a lot of video, and the guys are really responding. It was so big to win in overtime after they scored those two late goals, but our guys we’re intimidated at all and took care of things in the overtime period.”