Tyler Parsons is showing Kansas City Mavericks fans why he is the top prospect in the Calgary Flames organization.

He starred in the net for the second game in a row, shutting down offensive juggernaut Colorado in a 3-1 win Tuesday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.

He anchored what might have been the defensive performance of the season for the Mavericks against a team that has the best record in the ECHL.

“Ty stood on his head tonight,” team captain Tyler Elbrecht said of the 20-year-old who starred on the U.S. Junior National team last year, winning all five starts en route to a gold medal. “When your goalie plays like he did tonight, it just inspires everyone.

“Plus, you get up for a team like Colorado. We had a great, but simple, game plan and worked it to perfection.”

Mavericks coach John-Scott Dickson echoed the voice of his captain, adding, “We set the tone, the pace for three periods.”

“We kept it simple, and the guys played hard. And Parsons was in a zone all night. He’s been in a zone the past two games. He’s turned in two of his best performances in our last two games.”

Parsons led the Mavericks (25-19-0-1) to a 2-1 victory over Rapid City Saturday night and followed with the big win Tuesday, stopping 23 of 24 Eagles (31-8-4-0) shots.

“I feel good, real good in the net,” Parsons said. “I feel as confident now as I have all season. Earlier, I was hurt, then I got sent to Stockton and really didn’t play that much and now, playing as often as I am, I’m feeling confident and the guys are playing lights out in front of me.

“Our defense was amazing tonight! We were able to shut down one of the top offensive teams in the entire league, and it was a complete team effort.”

Mark Cooper opened the scoring for Kansas City with a goal at 5:50 of the first period.

Colorado tied it when Ben Storm stole the puck and scored a shorthanded goal during a breakaway at 14:19 of the second period.

Newcomer Danny Smith, who came to the Mavericks from the Southern Professional Hockey League, scored his second goal in Kansas City, and it turned out to be the game-winner as he fired the puck from long range and beat Sam Brittain, who broke his stick over the back of the goal afterward.

“Right place, right time,” Smith said, after scoring the unassisted goal. “I let it fly and was able to score.”

Dickson said there was much more to the game-winning goal than being lucky.

“Danny put himself into the right position to score that goal,” Dickson said. “We noticed some tendencies of Brittain while watching film and Danny was right there where he needed to be.”

Darren Nowick, who recently returned to Kansas City from Stockton along with fellow forward Mike McMurtry, scored an empty-netter with 10 seconds left for the final score.