William Chrisman senior midfielder Emanuel Corado hadn’t taken a shot in a varsity contest through four games.

That all changed in the Bears’ Suburban Middle Seven rival Fort Osage Thursday.

Both teams witnessed a rare occurrence at Independence All-School Stadium. The game went to a shootout and it wasn’t settled until both teams each took a whopping 10 penalty kicks. Corado, a reserve midfielder, made the final one when he punched the ball inside the left post past Fort Osage goalkeeper Riley Rexforo, giving his team a 3-2 victory after taking the shootout 9-8.

After the game-winner, the entire team rushed to mob the senior hero.

“It was (my first shot of the year), and I felt very confident,” Corado said. “My game plan was to shoot to the left side and put as much power as I could into it. It was amazing. What an opportunity!”

It was a memorable moment for Chrisman sophomore forward Tom Beem, who said he’s never seen a shootout go that long.

“It was awesome. It was the best thing ever,” Beem said of Corado’s penalty kick. “It’s probably my favorite moment playing soccer, and I’ve been playing for 10 years.”

Longtime Chrisman head coach John Straub called the contest “a great game from beginning to end.”

“I have never been a part of a shootout that has gone that many shooters before,” Straub said. “In practice (Corado) strikes the ball very well. Sometimes you will see him hit some PKs. He’s been very composed and consistent. I felt good about him going up.”

Indians assistant coach Ra Del Hinckley, who filled in as head coach due to Michael Brown being away to complete his U.S. Soccer certification, said it was a gut-wrenching way to end the game, but was pleased with the way his team played.

“The kids gave everything they had tonight,” Hinckley said. “I am so proud of them. The PK shootout is a horrible way to lose.”

The Bears (4-1, 1-0 Middle Seven) dominated possession throughout and held a 9-5 advantage in shots on goal. But it was Fort Osage who struck first.

Indians junior Hector Hernandez punched in a point-blank header of a corner kick from senior Jake Lammering for a 1-0 lead in the 10th minute. However, Beem tied it about 10 minutes later when he zig-zagged his way past a couple of defenders and knocked in a left-footed shot to tie it.

‘Tom has great quickness and speed, Straub said. “His strength has been when he’s been able to attack going forward. He adds a whole different dimension to our offense.”

An own goal by the Indians (2-3, 0-1) in the 56th minute gave the Bears a 2-1 lead. However, a through pass from Lammering found Anthony Cato, who tapped the ball 2 feet of the ground and put it in on the landing to tie it at 2-2 with 12:22 left in the second half.

Both teams went scoreless in both overtime periods with the Bears getting four shots on goal in the two extra periods.

“We’re not really a possession team this year,” Hinckley said. “We’re going to try hard to counter and try hard to frustrate our opponent. And we did that. We made them take shots from 30 to 40 yards out, and that’s good.”