Blue Springs South duked it out against the Kansas City metro area’s best girls soccer teams all season. Lee’s Summit West’s only conference loss came against the Jaguars. They also upended Kansas Class 6A champion Blue Valley West.

So when South took on St. Teresa’s Academy Tuesday night in the semifinals of the Class 4 District 13 tournament, the Jaguars knew they had the ability to go toe-to-toe with the 10-time state champions. And for nearly 60 minutes, they did.

St. Teresa’s needed two second-half goals to finally subdue South and claim a 2-0 victory at Lee’s Summit North High School. And while the Jaguars’ 12-8 season came to a disappointing end, coach Todd Findley had no doubt that his team put up a fight.

“We’ve been battled tested throughout the year,” Findley said. “We’ve had some success against upper-echelon teams and Teresa’s is one of them. The girls did exactly what we wanted to do, and we battled. We just didn’t get that break or two in the attack we needed.”

South managed only three shots against a rugged St. Teresa’s defense. The Jaguars best opportunities came on breakaways, which was what Findley wanted to happen. Senior Logan Abernathy had one midway through the first half, when slipped behind St. Teresa’s defenders only to send a shot wide of the goal. And junior forward Brianne Severns, the team’s leading scorer, found one of her few chances on a breakaway in the second half only to send a shot wide left.

“Our main focus was to play fast,” Severns said. “We knew they were very physical, they had their defense at a high line. Whenever we tried to play a through ball … if it worked, it worked. If it didn’t, we’d try to get the next one.”

St. Teresa’s (13-7) finished with 13 shots, but the Jaguars’ defense kept the Stars out of the net until the second half thanks to some big saves by goalkeeper Alaina Werremeyer. But with just over 20 minutes left in the second half, the Stars got on the board when Charlotte Duus rebounded in a shot by Paloma Solorio that caromed off the crossbar.

And with 9 minutes left, St. Teresa’s midfielder Lilly Farkas blasted a straight-on shot from outside the penalty area that bounced off the crossbar and in.

“It’s hard to keep Teresa’s out of the net for 80 minutes,” Findley said. “Heck, we did a good job for 60 to 70 minutes of it. I’m proud of them. Proud of their hard work, for sure.”

St. Teresa’s will meet Lee’s Summit North for the district title 6 p.m. Thursday at Lee’s Summit North.

LEE’S SUMMIT NORTH 10, RAYTOWN 0: It took some time for Lee’s Summit North to get its offense going. But once it did, it was nearly unstoppable.

After finally finding the net 18 minutes into the second half, North unleashed a flurry of goals to take a 7-0 lead by halftime. Three more goals in the second half ended the game via mercy rule.

“It took us awhile to score, but we were getting some good shots; we were around the goal,” North coach Ryan Kelley said. “We were just hitting the post or the crossbar. I liked the ideas; I knew they were going to come.”

Mikayla Lampe broke the Broncos’ scoring drought, and soon six of her teammates would follow suit. Kaylie Rock, Sydney Allen and Calli Siegmeier had two goals apiece; Cassidy Calvin, Emma Willard and Joanie Westcoat each added a goal.

Siegmeier’s second goal, with 16:55 left in the second half, put North up 10-0 and ended the game.

“Once Mikayla got that first goal for us, everybody kind of relaxed,” Kelley said. “And we were getting a lot of different shots from a lot of different places.”

North goalkeeper Morgan Glasgow recorded the shutout against Raytown, which ended the year 2-14.