Grain Valley ended the regular season with an easy win over Raytown South. It began the postseason the same way.

Sort of.

Grain Valley handled Ray-South for the second week in a row Friday night, scoring three quick first-quarter touchdowns en route to a 46-12 in a Class 4 District 7 first-round game at Grain Valley. But the Eagles came out of this one more battered and bruised than last week’s 37-0 romp at Ray-South.

Grain Valley (7-3) had to overcome the loss of quarter Cole Keller, who left with a knee injury in the second quarter. And senior defensive back Cavon Brooks couldn’t return after he had the wind knocked out of him shortly after Keller was hurt.

“There was a little anxiety on the sideline,” Grain Valley coach David Allie said. “But were able to pick it up.”

It did of course help that Grain Valley already led 19-6 when Keller went down under a pile of Cardinals while being sacked in the second quarter. And it didn’t take long for the Eagles to regain their footing. With junior Parker Bosserman taking over, Grain Valley needed just four plays before running back Jamore Goulden blasted 25 yards up the middle for the second of his three touchdowns.

“That’s our quarterback and we love him, but we had to handle business,” said Goulden, who rushed for 145 yards on 14 carries. “And I feel like we just all had to play better.”

The game couldn’t have started much better for Grain Valley. The Eagles had their first touchdown just over a minute into the game on a scoop-and-score from linebacker Willie Lanear, who blocked a punt and returned it 25 yards.

Ray-South’s next possession ended with a bobbled snap on a punt attempt which set up a 1-yard TD run by Goulden. The Cardinals ran only three plays before fumbling again, and that set up an 8-yard Cole TD run and a 19-0 lead.

“We just wanted to dominate and put it away early,” Lanear said. “Leave no doubt in their mind they shouldn’t be on the field with us. Put the nail in the coffin, then get home and have fun.”

Ray-South (2-8) cut the lead to 19-6 with its first sustained drive in the second quarter, an 80-yard march that ended with a 8-yard TD pass from quarterback Kevin Connor to Raevon Carter. Connor finished with 144 passing yards and two TDs.

But Ray-South would get no closer. Goulden scored on the Eagles’ next possession, and they ended the half with a 34-yard flea flicker from Gavin Oyler to Logan Pratt with 11 seconds left in the first half.

“We showed Bosserman our playlist and asked him which of these do you think you can’t run,” Allie said. “And he said ‘I think I can run everything.’ He stepped in and did a great job for us.”

Goulden made it 39-6 with a 41-yard TD run on the third play of the third quarter, and Seth Dankenbring tacked on a 1-yard TD run later in the period.

Grain Valley will be home again next week to take on Grandview in the second round.