Plasma can help in COVID fight
The American Red Cross is seeking people who have fully recovered from COVID-19 to donate plasma. Those people will have antibodies in their plasma that can attack the virus, so their plasma is being evaluated as a treatment for patients who have serious or immediately life-threatening COVID-19 infections.
You may qualify to donate plasma if you meet these eligibility criteria:
• You are at least 17 years old.
• You weigh at least 110 pounds.
• You are in good health, even if you are being treated for a chronic condition.
• You have had a prior, verified diagnosis of COVID-19 but are now symptom free and fully recovered
If you meet these requirements, please complete the Red Cross Donor Eligibility Form which can be found at https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/dlp/plasma-donations-from-recovered-covid-19-patients.html#donorform. A Red Cross representative will contact you. For further information or for help in finding the Donor Eligibility Form, call the American Red Cross at 1-800-733-2767.
The Red Cross has several blood drives coming up in the area:
• 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 3 at Summit Ridge Medical Plaza, 600 N.W, Murray Road, Lee’s Summit.
• 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 7 at Hughes Defense, 1008 W. Main St., Blue Springs.
• 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 7 at Bass Pro Shops Independence, 18001 Bass Pro Drive, Independence.
• 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 10 at Pizza Ranch, 4660 Bass Pro Drive, Independence.
• 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 11 at Bright Health, 777 N.W. Blue Parkway, Lee’s Summit.
• 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 11 at Raintree Pediatrics, 995 S.W. 34th St., Lee’s Summit.
• 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 13 at Bass Pro Shops, 18001 Bass Pro Drive, Independence.