State promotes 'First Day Hike'
Missouri State Parks is inviting people to celebrate the new year by taking a “First Day Hike” through a Missouri state park or historic site between Dec. 30 and Jan. 3.
Officials say it's a good way to get some exercise and enjoy the outdoors.
Due to COVID-19, this year’s first day hikes will be self-guided. Hikers are encouraged to capture their adventures with a selfie and to post their photos on social media using #MOFirstDayHikes. Hikers who complete their hike will be able to visit mostateparks.com/FirstDayHikes and enter for a chance to win a gift card.
Some state parks and state historic sites are:
• Battle of Lexington State Historic Site, Lexington, Mo.
• Weston Bend State Park, 16600 MIssouri 45 North, Weston, Mo.
• Watkins Mill State Park and Watkins Mill State Historic Site, 26600 Park Road North, Lawson, Mo.
• Lewis and Clark State Park, 801 Lakecrest Blvd., Rushville, Mo.
• Knob Noster State Park, on Missouri 23 just south of U.S. 50, Knob Noster, Mo.
For further information on the state parks and historic sites, visit mostateparks.com/FirstDayHikes and click on “Find Your Park.”
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, hikers should maintain social distance, bring hand sanitizer and wear masks.