Two charged in fatal gas station shooting

The Examiner staff

Two Kansas City brothers face murder and other charges after an accomplice was fatally shot in a botched drug deal robbery earlier this week at an Independence convenience station.

Jackson County prosecutors Thursday charged Sean and Korey Matlock, ages 20 and 18, each with second-degree murder, attempted robber and two counts of armed criminal action in connection with the early Monday shooting at the 7-Eleven on U.S. 40 near Crysler Avenue. Prosecutors asked that each be held on a $100,000 bond.

Police found 17-year-old SirJohn Harris of Lee’s Summit dead in the parking lot when they arrived.

According to court documents, a witness told police Harris had communicated with a woman who was a middle man to arrange the sale of several packages of marijuana. Harris and Matlocks decided to rob the dealer of the marijuana.

The witness added that Korey Matlock said “We gonna ‘L’ this dude for seven packages and everything in his pockets” – “L” meaning “lick” or “lash,” a term for robbery – and that the Matlocks had a short history of robbing dealers for the drugs.

Surveillance video of the 7-Eleven showed two cars pull into the parking lot. Harris approached the dealer, and Sean Matlock circled around the dealer and then pointed a gun at him.

When Korey Matlock pulled out his gun and opened the passenger door of the dealer’s car, the dealer pulled out his gun and fired several shots. The Matlocks both fired their guns, as well. The dealer and his passenger ran away, and the Matlocks and another accomplice drove away after seeing Harris was dead from gunshots.

The Matlocks and the accomplice said they were at the scene for a drug deal but denied trying to commit a robbery. Sean Matlock told police he dropped off the gun, switched vehicles and went to a hospital to have his gunshot wounds treated.

The witness said another person asked him to get rid of a gun from the scene. He directed police to a dumpster behind a doctor’s office in Prairie Village, where officers recovered the gun.