Local student-athletes earn NAIA academic honors
Several student-athletes from Eastern Jackson County who compete for Graceland University in Lamoni, Iowa, have been named to the 2019-20 Daktronics NAIA Scholar-Athletes list.
More than 10,000 total National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics student-athletes were named to the annual list. Graceland University had 47 individuals earn scholar-athlete status for the year.
The Daktronics NAIA Scholar-Athlete program recognizes excellence in the classroom for NAIA student-athletes with junior or senior status and with an academic standing of a 3.5 or higher cumulative GPA. Students must appear on the eligibility certificate for the sport and have attended two full years as a non-transfer student or one full year as a transfer.
Local students recognized for this achievement included:
• Carter Wiley, Independence, men's golf
• Steven Shaw, Blue Springs, men's golf
• Collin McClaran, Independence, men's soccer
• David Vandermark, Blue Springs, men's soccer
• Beth Presler, Independence, women's volleyball
• Kelsey Thompson, Independence, competitive dance
• Tabitha Watson, Sugar Creek, competitive dance